• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Pocket Reliable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I’m considering a repro Uberti made Colt’s .31 pocket revolving pistol such as this:

443-AC995-14-AC-412-E-B621-FAD4-B8207027.jpg

But I’ve heard they are very unreliable and prone to jams. Is it so guys? If yes, are there fixes that make them reliable shooters? I think they look real swell. My uses would be just for fun and for carrying in the woods to pop walnuts. Thanks,

-Smokey

I had one (Uberti)about 25 years ago and stupidly sold it. It was pretty reliable and I don't recall the issues that some are reporting. However, I recently purchased an Uberti 1849 Pocket and a Pocket Navy .36. I am experiencing the hammer blowback and cap jamming, etc with both. I believe the current Pocket mainsprings Uberti is using are much weaker than what they previously used. I ordered two new mainsprings and found them to be exactly the same as what the gun originally came with. What I have done so far is to cut down a standard Colt SAA mainspring for each gun and install aftermarket nipples. This has substantially reduced the problems. I like the SlixShot nipples but had to turn down the shoulders a bit to the same diameter of the stock Ubertis, or they wouldn't fit the Pocket Models.
Also, in Mike Cupston & Johnny Bates excellent book"Percussion Revolvers-A guide to their history, performance and use" they relieve the top right cap channel in the frame for more clearance. I have yet to try that modification, but it looks worthwhile.
I like these little Pocket Models and will just keep working till I get things straightened out.

I have some jamming issues as seen in my video below. I have some new nipples coming that I hope will cure the problem. i'm also looking for a way to strengthen the mainspring. I think that will help too. These are dandy little guns and were the best selling of all Colt percussion revolvers. Folks must have liked them back in the day!

Mark Hubbs
Eras Gone Bullet Molds

Guys I’m considering a repro Uberti made Colt’s .31 pocket revolving pistol such as this:

443-AC995-14-AC-412-E-B621-FAD4-B8207027.jpg

But I’ve heard they are very unreliable and prone to jams. Is it so guys? If yes, are there fixes that make them reliable shooters? I think they look real swell. My uses would be just for fun and for carrying in the woods to pop walnuts. Thanks,

-Smokey
I had one of these several years ago and they are a fun little gun. I had no issues with hammer spring strength. Back in the day it was common practice for cap and ball revolver shooters to raise the muzzle to vertical when cocking as seen in some of the oldtime cowboy movies. Colts have a groove cut into the face of the recoil shield that was intended to assist in clearing fired cap debris as the cylinder is turned. Raising the muzzle encourages the fired cap to fall out and away rather than down into the action.

Raising the muzzle encourages the fired cap to fall out and away rather than down into the action.

/\
This.

I wold get one with a loading lever, have an 1849 and it is a hoot! One of my favorite guns

Thank you, but I am under the impression that the replicas all have excessively heavy mainsprings from the factory. I’m fact their are many reduced power springs available, but no “increased power” ones. A friend and gunsmith on a different board ensured me that the current repops are oversprung.

I would try new nipples and a polish job on the hammer, as it is quite clear the springs don’t seem to be the issue, that’s if I get one. Can anyone comment on field accuracy? Are they accurate enough for game hunting?

I had one (Uberti)about 25 years ago and stupidly sold it. It was pretty reliable and I don't recall the issues that some are reporting. However, I recently purchased an Uberti 1849 Pocket and a Pocket Navy .36. I am experiencing the hammer blowback and cap jamming, etc with both. I believe the current Pocket mainsprings Uberti is using are much weaker than what they previously used. I ordered two new mainsprings and found them to be exactly the same as what the gun originally came with. What I have done so far is to cut down a standard Colt SAA mainspring for each gun and install aftermarket nipples. This has substantially reduced the problems. I like the SlixShot nipples but had to turn down the shoulders a bit to the same diameter of the stock Ubertis, or they wouldn't fit the Pocket Models.
Also, in Mike Cupston & Johnny Bates excellent book"Percussion Revolvers-A guide to their history, performance and use" they relieve the top right cap channel in the frame for more clearance. I have yet to try that modification, but it looks worthwhile.
I like these little Pocket Models and will just keep working till I get things straightened out.
Yep, you nailed it. I have that book as well!

I had one of these several years ago and they are a fun little gun. I had no issues with hammer spring strength. Back in the day it was common practice for cap and ball revolver shooters to raise the muzzle to vertical when cocking as seen in some of the oldtime cowboy movies. Colts have a groove cut into the face of the recoil shield that was intended to assist in clearing fired cap debris as the cylinder is turned. Raising the muzzle encourages the fired cap to fall out and away rather than down into the action.
Yeah, all but the Walkers have that groove you speak of! I always figured that is why Hopalong, the Lone Ranger, Roy and the others always did that point to the sky routine, even though they were shooting peacemakers. I always thought it made them look silly.

Yeah, all but the Walkers have that groove you speak of! I always figured that is why Hopalong, the Lone Ranger, Roy and the others always did that point to the sky routine, even though they were shooting peacemakers. I always thought it made them look silly.

:) Ahh, Kimosabe. What appears to be raising the gun hand and throwing forward to fire is actually a legitimate technique for shooting accurately while in pursuit at full gallop. Its hard to aim and squeeze while on a running horse.
Trivia - Tonto ( Jay Silverheels ) was actually a Seneca from Toronto.

I have a Uberti 49 that locked up constantly. From a bit cranky to all the way.
I tweaked the hand a bit and it has worked well since.

Near, guys. Then there is the Pocket Police, a gun I recently learned about:

F98-CF915-AFAD-41-BD-8-AE2-4947-B4-BA8-C38.jpg

Oh, but how neat! Guys this is a 5-shooter in navy caliber, built on the pocket model frame, and with new enhancements such as the swooping barrel and creeping lever, courtesy of Col. Colt’s latest developments!

Do these Police Pocket .36 models shoot better than the tiny .31s?

Hi Guys,
Through my many years I have had the Colt baby dragoon 1848, the Well's Fargo .31. and the 1862 police .36 cal.
The 1862 police beats the others hands down.
Easier to load ( bigger balls, loading lever ) more powerful, much less problems ( no jamming up ) But you should roll the revolver over after each shot, to dump the spent cap on cocking.
You should have the front sight replaced by a professional, as the original front sight is too low, resulting in the gun shooting way high.
The 1862 with a six inch barrel is a joy to shoot with.
Felt wads soaked in bees wax and olive oil make reloading a breeze, and you are not full of grease or lard.
Save two weeks of beer money and get the best!
Fred

There was a pocket police for sale on the for sale forum. You may have missed it by now though. I think a member pm'd about it.
Here is a picture of my Colt 2nd Generation Signature Series 1862 Pocket Navy in .36 Caliber. German Silver trigger guard and back strap. Box from billscustomcases.com
IMG_1523_zpsnr9vv03d.jpg
IMG_1300_zpsffglbxpb.jpg
IMG_1554_zpsifwvwhhh.jpg
IMG_2057_zpsbcctuyy1.jpg

Last edited:
There was a pocket police for sale on the for sale forum. You may have missed it by now though. I think a member pm'd about it.
Here is a picture of my Colt 2nd Generation Signature Series 1862 Pocket Navy in .36 Caliber. German Silver trigger guard and back strap.
IMG_1523_zpsnr9vv03d.jpg

Hey buddy you do have a nice collection of toys. Went out today a shot my pocket police , lots fun but had a few cap jams.

Back