colt patersons on the southern plains

Discussion in 'The Plains' started by whiskey, Mar 28, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 28, 2019 #1

whiskey

whiskey

whiskey

40 Cal.

I am trying to find references to colt patersons on the southern plains/santa fe trail around the mid 1840s. Any have any sources on that?

2. Mar 28, 2019 #2

davidmc62

davidmc62

davidmc62

40 Cal.

I cant say for the Santa Fe Trail area. But The Republic of Texas bought Paterson rifles, shotguns and revolvers for the Texas Navy in 1839 I believe. When the Navy was disbanded in 1843, Texas Ranger Captain Jack C. Hays acquired some of the surplus revolvers from the defunct Texas Navy to arm his company of Rangers. Hays and his men put them to good use against the Comanche Indians in Texas. The Paterson revolver may have been of small caliber, and fragile, but the increased firepower it provided was enough to give Rangers the upper hand in many decisive fights against the Comanches in the 1840's.

3. Mar 28, 2019 #3

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Kit Carson had a Patterson revolver in 1839. However sales for colts between ‘36 and ‘48 were dismal.
    It’s certainly in the time frame and lots of colts were carried th California for the gold rush. 1840? New toy on the block, 1850? Much more common.

4. Mar 28, 2019 #4

whiskey

whiskey

whiskey

40 Cal.

do you have a source for kit having a paterson

5. Mar 28, 2019 #5

whiskey

whiskey

whiskey

40 Cal.

in Susan Maggofin's 1846 journal when traveling on santa fe trail she mentions them having some of colts 6 shot revolvers. During the editing for publication years later, that may have been a mistaken edit. The 6 shot colt walker was not available in summer of 46. I was wondering if they might have been patersons.

6. Mar 28, 2019 #6

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Carson and several trappers rode to the relief of santafe traders , I think besieged by commache. I don’t have the biography of him any more. They were proud of how well the ‘5 shooters’ worked.

7. Mar 31, 2019 #7

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

BlackHillsBob

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

as for me, i think the paterson colt is the most beautiful revolver ever made. in a long search i found a couple that were converted into a 38 or somthing like that rim fire. if uberti ever comes out with one like that i would buy it in a short minute. thanks for talking about paterson colts.

8. Nov 26, 2019 #8

Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher

45 Cal.

Stephen Moore’s “Savage Frontier” series contain a wealth of Texas historical trivia. Somewhere I read that the going rate for a Patterson around 1840 in Texas was around $200, an astronomical sum.

IIRC Moore places the first uses of the Paterson around San Antonio around 1840. In that year, during the Council House Fight in San Antonio, Moore relates an account of Texas Officer Lysander Wells’ Paterson locking up because he had driven the wedge too tight, suggesting he had recently obtained the revolver.

That same year Moore relates that a prominent and presumably well-to-do Tejano was armed with a Paterson in an action against the Comanche Chief Isomania.

Also in 1840, John L Moore’s second expedition against the Comanches. An estimate 180 Comanches killed at their camp on the Colorado, one of the major bloodlettings of the West, strangely forgotten today.

Everyone focuses on Moore’s 1839 debacle against a Comanche camp on the San Saba. Turns out Moore learned from his mistakes and launched a second strike the following winter, this time observing the suggestions of his Lipan guides to the letter.

The result was a well-executed dawn attack on the unsuspecting camp. IIRC Moore had 80 men in his party, one of whom possessed a Paterson revolving carbine, the rest presumably armed with a variety of flintlock and caplock rifles.