• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt Navy Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thoughts on this pistol?

IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4131.JPG
IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG

Almost too good to be true. Can you provide photos of all the markings on the pistol. No cylinder scene? I have never seen reference to a USN stamp like that though I haven't seen everything (yet).

Lots of questions and few answers for you ... This is definitely NOT my primary collecting area, but the font of the serial # looks totally wrong compared to both my 4th model 1851 and also the early 1873 peacemakers that I've seen. Although Colt made this model pistol until 1873 at
Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 3.41.11 PM.png

serial # 215348, they ALWAYS had the top of the barrel stamped; this 4th model should read Address COL SAML COLT, etc, etc. Likewise the left side of the frame should be stamped Colt's Patent and beyond the trigger "36 Cal". Your barrel stamping is unique. I sure wouldn't attribute any percussion gun made around 1870 to the US Navy unless there was EXTREME documentation , as the government was selling off these as surplus guns at that time

I agree with Olut, the lack of marking on the frame and the shape of the grips are red flags to me. Check the rifling, it should be gain twist.

Sure looks like a "49 pocket. It's a five shot cylinder on a post "61 frame. Most of the post "61 .31 pockets were six shooters. Colt used the new fangled Bessemer steel to make stronger, thinner walled cylinders.

Well, if it was priced at $100 I'd buy it and not worry; if it was $1,000 I'd be thinking back to the first kit I ever bought in the 1970s; it was a '51 Navy with not a single # or makers mark on it; kinda like going to the art store and buying a blank canvas. Just noticed while typing that the serial numbers on the bottom photo weren't all made with the same stamp set; look at the 1 on the frame compared to the others.?????

That is a Palmetto kit gun from the Dixie Gun Works in the 1980s. This is a picture of mine that looks exactly the same. The serial numbers are on my Colt pocket model manufactured in1862 with 6 round cylinder while the Palmetto has 5 round cylinder like yours.

ABC_0875.JPG
ABC_2443.JPG

Well, if it was priced at $100 I'd buy it and not worry; if it was $1,000 I'd be thinking back to the first kit I ever bought in the 1970s; it was a '51 Navy with not a single # or makers mark on it; kinda like going to the art store and buying a blank canvas. Just noticed while typing that the serial numbers on the bottom photo weren't all made with the same stamp set; look at the 1 on the frame compared to the others.?????

100? Dang, well I did pay more than that, will have to wait and see what shows up. So far what I am hearing, is that this ain’t original?

@Mulebrain Check this out from a book I have...

This Colt 1949 has a very close serial # to yours, and has "USN" in the same place yours does but a different font, and is turned a different direction. It also has "UDC" (Union Defense Committee) in the bottom of the grips as yours does, but again it looks different. On yours it's more etched on, whereas on this example it's a stamp. Hmmm....
20210616_140633.jpg
20210616_140604.jpg

I'm not sure of the purpose of the original posting, but here's more stuff that I've been reluctant to post up until now ( and still probably shouldn't). The original posting was for a "Colt Navy pistol", which instead is looking to my UNEDUCATED eyes as a knock-off copy of an 1849 purchased by the US navy.... see Flayderman's Guide for more info on this rare group of guns. If the question of the original posting is whether the posted gun is "the real deal", a simple look at the two USN marked Model 1849's that have been sold at auction easily answers the question. All the previous comments above indicate problems with Mulebrain's gun being an original USN purchase
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.54.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.55.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.54.16 PM.png
. I guess a Colt Collectors forum could better address the issue. Hopefully he did not put big money into this gun.

Back