• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

COLT MODEL 1855 REVOLVING CARBINE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Remember this?
Standard carbine in .44 caliber percussion with a 18" barrel.

The Colt markings are not visible on the topstrap though the serial number "1427" is clear at the rear of the upper tang, & "44 Cal" is clear on the left side of the trigger guard.

AThis is a good example of a rare Colt revolving carbine.

Remember this rifle from the movie: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?
grin.gif

coltrevrifle503axn.jpg
coltrev302axn.jpg

Ya. Ole Samel, he tried lots o times ta get the Army ta buy em revolvin rifle thins an they tried some but never bout inter the ider.
What wit the chanch o chain fire, twas hard ta convince the troops ta put their hand out thar ta support the rifle. Reloadin war a chore too an most times thar ain't no lil bush ta hunker down behind while ye do it neather.
But Ah think the thin that really killed it fer the Army wer the fact that most o the brass were locked in on the ider of "one shot worked for 150+ yars so why change now".
Also note the hammer. This is the "Roots" style lock what Colt used ta make some pistols too. They warnt too good. Had lots o parts a breakin.

Thankie Mooskeetman fer the fine Photos.

Nice picture. Have you ever had it appraised? I've got one like it and am interested what the value may be.

Nice picture. Have you ever had it appraised? I've got one like it and am interested what the value may be.
This is not my firearm, I had permission to use the picture for the sake of the post, the other is a stock photo of the same firearm... (they are two sepperate weapons)

However, the value of this firearm was appraised at $3'750.00 ::

The cost doesn't seem too high - but I think it might be hard to find one for sale. They should have told the Army about wonder wads.

C F

Back