• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Dragoon Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copper64

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I recently inherited this Colt Dragoon. It has been in my family for probably more than 100 years. From what I could find online, it looks like it was made in 1860 ( SN is above 18000). All numbers that I can locate match. Were these weapons commonly used in the civil war? It doesn’t have any markings on it other than the serial numbers. Also, it is missing a nipple. Are period correct nipples easy to find? I don’t think it would look right with a new one, but I’m open to suggestions. Also has a crack on the handle. Not sure if that detracts or adds to the wonder of what this weapon may have been through. I appreciate any advice. Thank you, Chris.

Attachments

• 27DCFA2F-66C4-4F1F-A4BA-396C32D754A9.jpeg
    27DCFA2F-66C4-4F1F-A4BA-396C32D754A9.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 47A4136E-1AD3-4752-B30B-137E54CCA79E.jpeg
    47A4136E-1AD3-4752-B30B-137E54CCA79E.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 174
  • FE761F73-C13D-4639-9D5C-4B47A333BD65.jpeg
    FE761F73-C13D-4639-9D5C-4B47A333BD65.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 5EC9F819-2776-4A7B-AABA-F6EF5EFC8BF3.jpeg
    5EC9F819-2776-4A7B-AABA-F6EF5EFC8BF3.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 167
Good afternoon, I recently inherited this Colt Dragoon. It has been in my family for probably more than 100 years. From what I could find online, it looks like it was made in 1860 ( SN is above 18000). All numbers that I can locate match. Were these weapons commonly used in the civil war? It doesn’t have any markings on it other than the serial numbers. Also, it is missing a nipple. Are period correct nipples easy to find? I don’t think it would look right with a new one, but I’m open to suggestions. Also has a crack on the handle. Not sure if that detracts or adds to the wonder of what this weapon may have been through. I appreciate any advice. Thank you, Chris.
I gotta think an original nipple could be found; if not, there are guys who can "age" things to blend in. Do your homework, don't be in haste, it's a nice honest looking pistol! Good luck, wow, nice.

I gotta think an original nipple could be found; if not, there are guys who can "age" things to blend in. Do your homework, don't be in haste, it's a nice honest looking pistol! Good luck, wow, nice.
Thank you for the quick reply. I’m certainly in no hurry. Hopefully it will be in my family for another 100 years.

The pistol may of been in the war but they also saw use everywhere. If you came by a nipple and/or the wedge screw I’d pick them up, but it’s fine without them. It’s a historic piece and having it is also a responsibility. Take care of it for the next fellow and if you feel the need to shoot one buy a replica.

If there are no Colt markings on it at all it may be a knock off, that means in the brevett style which means it is a copy of the Colts. Very common over in Europe and England and many found their way Stateside. I am not a pistol guy so hopefully someone else will chime in and help you. Also your serial number is very high and I seem to remember Colt not making that many Dragoons but I could be wrong. Either way good luck and I hope you find some nipples. You also might try calling Dixie Gun Works and talking to their Gunsmith. Might send some pictures his way too.

If there are no Colt markings on it at all it may be a knock off, that means in the brevett style which means it is a copy of the Colts. Very common over in Europe and England and many found their way Stateside. I am not a pistol guy so hopefully someone else will chime in and help you. Also your serial number is very high and I seem to remember Colt not making that many Dragoons but I could be wrong. Either way good luck and I hope you find some nipples. You also might try calling Dixie Gun Works and talking to their Gunsmith. Might send some pictures his way too.
I should’ve been clearer in my original post about the markings. I meant to point out that I couldn’t find any markings indicating that it may have been issued to the military. It also has these. I appreciate all the replies.

Attachments

• E403220B-6FC4-4E6E-947F-C55C7F15C51F.jpeg
    E403220B-6FC4-4E6E-947F-C55C7F15C51F.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 113
  • 552113D5-FB4F-4ED7-8A0F-E2D1D0FA65D0.jpeg
    552113D5-FB4F-4ED7-8A0F-E2D1D0FA65D0.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 115
Yes, you do have an original Colt it looks like. Great job on taking care of it and good hunting in your quest for a nipple replacement! Let us know how you do too.:thumb:
My father, who passed away a few months ago, inherited it and kept it for around 60 years. He took excellent care of it. It was always exciting when he showed it to me when I was a kid. I knew there was something special about it. Now it’s my turn to care for it until I pass it on to one of my kids. There’s an antique gun show just outside of Baltimore, Md, close to where I live in March. Hopefully I’ll be able to go and see if I can find a nipple. If not, I may just leave it the way it is; as others have suggested.

I have an old Colt Dragoon that had odd nipples of various sizes. I replaced them all but kept the originals. These nipples were very old looking. I could send you one if you measure them with a micrometer. I could see if one would match. I would recommend having a gunsmith do it if you haven’t had them removed for cleaning before.

I have an old Colt Dragoon that had odd nipples of various sizes. I replaced them all but kept the originals. These nipples were very old looking. I could send you one if you measure them with a micrometer. I could see if one would match. I would recommend having a gunsmith do it if you haven’t had them removed for cleaning before.
I appreciate the offer! I have to first get hold of a micrometer. My tool collection isn’t very impressive. Thank you.

There could be a reason that nipple is missing, I've done this from time on an 1860 (repro) I have that doesn't have safety pins on the cylinder - I load five and keep the hammer down on the cylinder without a nipple.

There could be a reason that nipple is missing, I've done this from time on an 1860 (repro) I have that doesn't have safety pins on the cylinder - I load five and keep the hammer down on the cylinder without a nipple.
I never thought about that. Probably a long shot, but that makes me wonder if a soldier would’ve done such a thing for safety reasons.

I never thought about that. Probably a long shot, but that makes me wonder if a soldier would’ve done such a thing for safety reasons.
A soldier issued the gun ? Probably not. An individual owner? Much more likely, especially if he had experienced an accidental discharge or knew someone who had. Old papers and writings often mention firearms accidents and a person might well decide not to trust factory safety designs. Colt, after all, intended for his guns to be carried fully loaded and soon added cylinder pins to allow the hammer to be placed in between chambers. The pins however could be damaged or slip so some would not trust them.

While I'm no expert on original Colt's, I have read alot of books in reference to them. If your Dragoon is an original, it would be worth more than trying to install a nipple and possibly damaging the metal around the nipple area maybe having to recut threads and such. From the looks of your pictures, it looks like time and corrosion may have taken a toll in that area. Be like fixing that crack in the grip, detract from the value.

I assume you don't plan on shooting it, as I previously mentioned, corrosion may have taken a toll on the metal integrity that is hidden from the eye. Had a cousin tell me of a person in his town that fired an old Winchester lever rifle from the 1800's that looked like it had been in the elements for 100 years and ruptured the receiver and barrel. Rust had caused weak spots. I'd leave as is and enjoy it as a family heirloom, not alot can say they have an original percussion revolver from the era they were produced.

Could always purchase another cylinder and remove the bluing to match if you want to shoot it. A good soak in vinegar then neutralize it in water and baking soda, then rinse, dry polish and oil it and you’d never know. Then just swap cylinders to display it. I did that with my Dragoon and my Walker.

As a retired Museum Curator and someone who has been around firearms, ammunition, and ordnance for over 40 years I offer this:

Do not replace the missing nipple. Keep that revolver as is. I recommend gently rotating the cylinder to rest the hammer down on the chamber that is missing the nipple. This will disguise the fact that it is missing and shouldn't detract from its appearance if you choose to display it in your home. If you do display it don't use metal hooks and keep it out of direct or reflective sunlight. One of the replica Colt display cases with a solid lid would be a fair option.

Just keep preserving and maintaining it by periodically wiping it down with a quality firearms oil. Just don't overdo it. When dealing with a historical artifact the less you handle it the better.

Reject any and all offers or recommendations to restore it.

Are there any markings or engraving on the grip backstrap? Don't remove anything but you may be able to see any if there are some.

I doubt they have records for them, but you could always write to Colt to see if they have any surviving records for your revolver and if they do, the fee for a historical letter will be well worth it. I know a lot of people balk at the fee, but it will enhance the value of your firearm for estate purposes.

Colt Archive Properties, LLC - Home (coltarchives.com)

Nice revolver.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the advice I have received. I have decided to leave the pistol as is and I will take great care in preserving it, as my father did for more than fifty years. I do not see any markings on the backstrap. I did reach out to Colt shortly after I inherited this pistol, but unfortunately they do not have any records.

I'd bet that nipple was removed on purpose.

We will never know who used this Dragoon, probably well after the cartridge era. These old percussion Colts weren't worth anything monetarily in the 1880's-1920's really, they were just old guns. Skeeter Skelton had a '51 Navy as a kid because someone gave it to him to play around with. This Dragoon may have been a cap gun for a kid for all we know.

I have a really well loved 1861 Springfield with a big nipple divot in the hammer face and lots of corrosive cap corrosion on the bolster......some experts I asked think it was given to a kid to play with and maybe some old caps, and Junior just clicked away with it and popped some caps on it. You could buy old muskets for 50 cents back in the 1900's..... Maybe this Dragoon was used for the same thing. It was a toy for a kid.

This Dragoon might have been someone's "barn gun" or a backyard plinker , and it wasn't used for anything serious so someone popped the nipple off to make a rest for the hammer like was said above.

I definitely wouldn't shoot it, not with a repro being available for $400.

Back