• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Dragoon - 1st vs. 2nd vs. 3rd models

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opusnight

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I keep seeing and reading conflicting information about what distinguishes the difference in the models. Based on some homework, the variance is in the notching of the cylinder, and squared backside of the trigger guard. But, here's the confusion: different places tell me the 1st model does indeed have the squareback guard, others say no. And still more confusing, different resources say different things regarding the cylinder notching for each model.

Where is the definitive answer?

I like "FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS" for the information on collectible American guns.

Because this guide is directed towards people who are collectors it is usually very accurate in its description of the firearms it shows.

The 9th ed. says the following about the Colt Dragoons

1st Model: "...Continuation of the square backed trigger guard, the cylinder stop slots oval and the juncture of grips, gripstraps, and frame forming a straight vertical line..."

2nd Model: "...Identification of the Second Model is quickly made by looking for the distinct combination of square-back trigger guard and rectangular cylinder stop slots. Subtle changes were appearing in the mainspring type, the hammer (added a roller bearing) and the trigger guard width as seen from the front. Both vertical and horizontal loading lever latches were in evidence..."

3rd Model: "...Spotting a Third Model is relatively easy -- simply look for the combination of rectangular cylinder stop slots and rounded trigger guard..."

Haven’t been here long and happened across this post. I have the second and third model dragoons. I recently purchased a first model. Nothing different but the cylinder stops. If I would have known, I have an extra cylinder with the oval stops. Fits all three models. A second model with the cylinder with oval cylinder stops turns it into a first model. Seems like Uberti didn’t make a first model with the V spring. That would have been more accurate.

Back