• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 3rd dragoon w/leaf sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix511

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a replica Colt 3rd model dragoon with leaf sights. It has no maker's mark that I can find, but it has the typical Italian proof and year-of-maufacture. Purchased new in the 1980's from EMF in LA. I thought it to be some fantasy idea with leaf sights mounted on the barrel just ahead of the cylinder.

Nope! Check this website, and go down about half way to item #3216, looks just like my replica. http://www.michaelsimens.com/Civil_War_Guns_Pistols_Revolvers.asp

Anyone else have one of these and know who made it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's an Armi san Marco made 3rd Model Dragoon. They made them back then with the folding leaf rear sight on the barrel lug & could be had with matching shoulder stock.
Long Johns Wolf

Agree with Long Johns Wolf and arcticap. Bought a lot of cap and ball revolvers from EMF in the mid-1980's. All were made by Armi San Marco.

Have you looked on the bottom of the barrel for markings? Many are marked in very small, often lightly stamped letters: " A.S.M. Black powder only " Sometimes " S.M. " instead of A.S.M.

Yep, It's an ASM, I have one. Cute point is...it isn't cut for a shoulder stock. Doesn't even have the screws. I removed the leaf sights because they were worse than useless.

Yep, it does not have the screws for a shoulder stock.

Thanks for the info on Armi San Marco and EMF in the 1980's Likely this is one of theirs although I still can't find their logo anywhere.

Thirty or so years ago I made a new sight higher than that supplied, now shoots pretty much on point of aim.

Recently measured the cylinder chamber diameter and barrel groove diameter (as best I can) and reamed the cylinder groove diameter of 0.453". Accuracy much improved as original were 0.446" which really swaged the ball too small.

Actually, mine hits close to poa. For chuckles, I loaded up some Lee .45 cal. minies. I think they were about 295 gr, they hit right on poa and it did kick a bit.

Latest posts

Back