• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt .31 Pocket Models.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score
31loads.jpg

Some of the early small Patersons came in .28 and .31 caliber. IN 1848,Colt had his factory set up and was ready to exploit the civilian market. He came out with a pocket model frequently calle the "Baby Dragoon" because of the squared-off trigger guard. The Pocket Model of 1848 had a round trigger guard and rectangular locking lugs on the cylinder. Most had attached loading levers. The 1848 designation came from collectors as the guns actually came out in 1850. Collectors also desided to name the one without a loading lever the "Wells Fargo" even though WF never bought any of them.
According to Elmer Keith, the so-called Wells Fargo model was a staple of the Pony Express riders who carried an extra cylinder for fast reloads.

Oddly enough, the velocity differences among the available powders are the reverse of what I see with larger revolvers and pistols. The usual high to low dispursion is H777, then pyrodex p then fffg.
wfargosmlcase.jpg

The .31 pocket models were the most numerous of the Colt percussion revolvers and stayed in production until 1873.Most were five shooters although a few were produced with six shot cylinders. Barrel lengths varied from three to six inches with the leverless ones generally in the 3" range.

My pocket model is good to 40 or fifty feet and I am able to miss the entire target occasionally at 25 yards. Ball loads are more accurate but my ability is such that I really can't tell much difference between ball and bullet with this revolver
wfargobulletsml.jpg

This is a 2002 vintage Uberti. At first the action seemed kind of glitchy but I found that I was driving the wedge in far enough to cause friction between the barrel and cylinder. The small demensions tend to cause hang-ups from cap fragments. Number ten caps are necessary for good function and I relieved key areas to promote functioning. These modifications worked very well.
spent caps.jpg

I've gotten spare parts from VTI Gunparts, Dixie and Cimarron Arms. While I have had no parts breakage, I did experiment successfully with fitting the hand and locking bolt.

MEC-I would just like say THANKS for all your posts and testing,revolvers and pistols. You have posted great photos, load charts. Thanks again. Montanadan

It's a lot of fun. I may be learning some things about all these caplock pistols. Thanks for the word.
MC

Latest posts

Back