• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 2nd Gen Navy .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meanwhile

32 Cal
Reaction score
So a sad story is that I bought a Colt .36 Navy in Idaho when I was stationed at Mtn. Home AFB, but sold it for college tuition in 1979. As I recall Gibsons store had a heck of a deal. I think I spent just over $100 for the pistol in 1977. It shot great, and killed many a whistle pigs in the sage brush. I was in my black powder age at the time. I owned a .50 TC Hawken, a Ruger Old Army and my Colt. The Colt was purchased first. I spent many a weekend in the desert with those guns while avoiding Air Force ORI recalls (operational readiness inspections).

If I was not in the sage I was up in the mountains around Featherville, ID. Anything to avoid the rumored arrival of a base wide inspection team. That would usually entail 12 on, 12 off shifts. The bane of my enlisted career.

I sold all my firearms to fund my college pursuits after the Air Force. Dumbest thing I ever did.

So now the question: is it worth it to seek out a quality .36 Colt Navy?

It was fun to shoot. If I wanted to target small game I'd use the Old Army, but that Colt was always the gem of my small collection.

I now have a .50 cal percussion TC Hawken (early model) and a .54 cal percussion offshore rifle.

Between the Old Army and Colt, which should I seek?

Better shooting or my first BP pistol? Both are now very expensive for what they are. I can afford one. Which one?

Meanwhile, first I'd buy a quality Colt's Navy in London pattern with the steel backstrap in .36 from a really good dealer like Taylor's or Cimarron, it will cost a little more, but will be a quality piece and the Navy is traditional and good. You might also consider the 1861 Colt's Navy with the round barrel and creeping loading lever (lovely sleek lines). Then you must of course have a Confederate Leech and Rigdon in steel frame, a Griswold and Gunnison in brass frame and a Dance and Park Bros...then comes quality leather holsters, belt boxes, and accessories for each pistol, and so on...Yes it is worth it to get quality Navies and I would stick with them, you have had good practical use with them in the past. The Ruger is way over priced and I would rather have two of the above mentioned guns instead. Good luck and good smoke! George.

Last edited:
Go with the one that tugs at your heart strings the most, which, as you said, was the older styled gun. Shooting BP is a lot more hassle than slipping cartridges in a modern gun, so the more efficient shooter will likely get left behind for an easier gun to shoot. The older styled gun seems to have romanced its' way in to your heart----your first, and everybody has fond memories of their first---- (pretty much anything).

It is an apple vs orange sort of thing. The Ruger will handle heavier loads and has better sights but is a 20th c gun. The Colt 1851 Navy is less expensive to feed & is a historic gun that in many ways is the standard against which all BP revolvers are evaluated. If possible, handle both - which feels better in your hand? Either will be fun to shoot. If I had to choose just one BP revolver, it would be the 2nd gen 1861 Colt navy.

20200117_140309.jpg

+1 for a Uberti London Navy. Mine is a gem, easily the best looking revolver in existence.

Many say the 1861 Navy is the pinnacle of aesthetic revolver perfection but I think it's the 51 Navy all day.

Best handling gun I've ever fired. I like it so much I'm getting another one, so I can keep one unfired in a display case, with all the accessories, because it's just a joy to look at.

I'm sure we all know but the Colt "Signature Series" guns are just well fitted Uberti parts fitted and finished at Colt.

Last edited:
Interesting question...
Other than getting started with pure, homemade ‘zip’ guns, and a kit from CVA, my blackpowder shooting started in earnest with the Colt 1851 2nd Gen, and a .50 cal TC Hawken. I still have them both. I have been nothing but pleased with the performance of both. I understand the limitations of each and am comfortable with them.

For me, truly having enjoyed the Colt 1851, I would continue to do that, providing I could afford to. I agree the 1861 Navy is beautiful. Mine sits in its box. But there is just something about that 1851.

Despite my Avitar of 1861 Colt, the 1851 would last longer in reference to the toggle link in the loading lever. It can be replaced if worn. I don't like that setup personally because of the cam-over point, where the 1861 is smooth. However, that is it's own downfall. The lever's teeth should have a flat face engagement surface area to handle the ramming psi pressure so as a result the barrel indents begin to stretch, the lever gets a little rattley and the latch barely has contact anymore. I've had my Replica Arms for 45 years and the gazillion rounds I've put through it has exposed that weakness. It's cuter than the 1851 so I stand beside it.

Despite my Avitar of 1861 Colt, the 1851 would last longer in reference to the toggle link in the loading lever. It can be replaced if worn. I don't like that setup personally because of the cam-over point, where the 1861 is smooth. However, that is it's own downfall. The lever's teeth should have a flat face engagement surface area to handle the ramming psi pressure so as a result the barrel indents begin to stretch, the lever gets a little rattley and the latch barely has contact anymore. I've had my Replica Arms for 45 years and the gazillion rounds I've put through it has exposed that weakness. It's cuter than the 1851 so I stand beside it.
I’ve had my Colt 1860:for about the same length of time and the lever is still snug... proving, I suppose, either you shoot a hell of a lot more than me, or Italian metallurgy was a dark art back then...

Probably so on the metallurgy. At least my frame has remained solid and no loose arbor. Probably helps I never shot chamber topping loads, only what is dispensed by the Remington flask spout.

I do know that Pietta acknowledged in an email that they don't heat treat their barrels.

I peened the wedge slot on a Pietta 51 Navy with a few cylinders of conicals and a normal load.

The same loads in my Uberti 51 Navy did not do this.

OldNo7, that is a thing of beauty. I need to find one to absolve this lingering regret I have for selling mine.

I even registered with an online auction house to look for black powder weapons. Surprisingly, I found an auction that offered a few. I'll keep looking.

Randy

Back