• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 2nd and 3rd Generation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Related to Bravo 4-4's thread, but not wanting to hijack his.

Back in 2013, I picked up a pair of Colt's. The ad read:
"A nice pair of Uberti made, repro Colt 1862 Pocket Police models, .36 caliber 5 shot fluted cylinders. One is possibly one of the early ones made for Colt, no box. Has correct Colt markings and no visible Italian markings. This nice little revolver has nickeled back strap. The other one has brass backstrap, purchased from Dixie Gunworks probably 15 yrs ago, no box. I have never fired either of these live, used for blanks one time. Both function well, very good cosmetic condition. Also included is custom made shoulder holster rig. Revolvers will sit just under armpits with grips angled forward, easily pulled in reverse plainsman's twist manner. No particular historical provenance on the holster but very nice looking. Great for bushwacker or civilian nar-do-well impression."

I picked up the lot, as the seller was the same size as me, so the holster fit. :)

My question relates to the first pistol. I never really gave it much thought, but now I'm wondering if it may really be one of the 2nd or 3rd gen guns. Did they make them in multiple models, or "just" the 1860? I'm having difficulty getting photos that show the markings.

Mechanically, both pistols are equally reliable. Both are more accurate then I am, and from my perspective, both hit just a little high. I haven't miced them to see if there's any difference in the bores or chambers - both give a nice lead ring using .375 ball. The "Colt's" rammer is cut for conicals, while the "Uberti's" is the more familiar roundball, but that's the only difference, other than lack of modern marking on the one and the backstrap/trigger guard material. Ironically though, they prefer different brands of caps...

Thanks,
Mike

'morning,

If we get some sun, I'll try for some photos with natural light. Without flash, nothing can be seen, and with flash, I'm not getting good results.

Regarding the signature question, no. There are only the factory markings, no signature.

Serial number is: 5249x.

Thanks,
Mike

Okay, wife made some suggestions, and they came out tolerably well.

Bottom, no markings other than the serial number

Right side, no markings

Top of barrel, reads, "ADDRESS COL SAML COLT NEW-YORK US AMERICA"

Inside one flute (only one):

Left side of frame:

Hopefully this works. :)

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, thanks for the information and great pictures. :thumbsup:

The revolver is a 2nd Generation Colt Pocket Police and it falls in the 2nd Generation Pocket Police serial number range. This model was only made for about two years.

Very nice gun. :hatsoff: Robert

Thanks for the confirmation Robert!

I find it and it's brother to be my favorite pistols to shoot. My Colt .44 "Navy" is the other favorite. An 1860 is probably next on the list. :surrender:

Thanks for the assistance,
Mike

Latest posts

Back