• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 2nd & 3rd generation just muddy water?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To be clear I own a Colt 3rd Gen 1849 Pocket ..but it is just a shooter to me ..However I have read the ebb and flow of the conversations of the two being discussed and I am still not with a clear understanding of value so to speak ..so correct me if I am missing something or have mis-stated something ..
They both utilized imported (Italy I believe raw casting) with the first batch of casting funneled thru Navy Arms? and the second batch of casting directly imported from Italy
The 2nd Gen was finished and fitted at the Colt factory
The 3rd Gen was finished and fitted in the USA in a facility separate from the Colt factory but that factory and the marketing of the finished product was licensed by Colt with the Colt brand on the finished goods.
(I would bet $$ old Sam L Colt had a representative in London when he licensed the London folks to build under his name ..do you think the modern day Colt folks had representation at the facility in the USA that built the 3rd Gen?)
Also ..am I to understand that the gentleman who headed up the 2nd Gen project on behalf of Colt was the same gentleman who took a financial stake in the building of the 3rd Gen and was also the overseer of the finished goods..
Additionally..did not this same gentleman reach out again financially and establish a small start up gun company named Henry Rifle Company or now known simply as Henry USA ..
My 3rd Gen 1849 is a Swiss Watch as to action and trigger ..fit and finish exceeds My new Uberti 1862 and 1860
I am lost in the forest as to why folks pay any appreciable difference between a 2nd and 3rd Gen Colt branded product ???
Please ..this is not a pot stir ..if you can calmly explain the added value of a 2nd gen over a 3rd I would like to learn!

BEAR

2nd gens will "letter" from the factory, 3rds won't. And, just like the rest of any other reproductions made after the originals, they have short arbors. They definitely look nice on the outside but they are typical '70's inside. Out of 9 (mostly 2nds) in the shop, not one had simultaneous lock-up at full cock, every one had late bolt drop. You apparently have a gem!. (And I didn't check hammer/sear engagement).
I'm not a collector so don't have any affinity to any of them, I just work on them. That said, without bias, they are typically the most "out of spec" revolvers to work on. Of course, once done, they make one fine revolver!!!

Mike

I think any of those 2nd Blackpowder/Black Box Series, & 3 rd Signature series colts need
tune-ups and going over. In the original Colt factory many hours of finishing and
calibrating the action was done. That care is just not given anymore. It is modern
marketing by a labor rate stopwatch. Those series are great because they are under
the Colt mystique and fame (Uberti parts or not.) I think that if you have a 1,2, or 3
series Colt, you have a piece that is rising in value and deserves a thorough going
over and tuning like "45D" advises. A Colt deserves it. Remember those Colts
are investments like money in the Bank. Feel lucky you have one. The first gen
sold for under 17 bucks and a nice one brings $3000 and more today.
Because it bears the Colt badge, it is worth the extra care. They are rising in
price as we type here.

Back