• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1862 Police

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a Colt 1862 Police Pocket. But have read and seen a few videos about caps getting suck on the hammer face quite often and having to be remove before next shot. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks

I have four Pocket Police revolvers. Two are Colt and two are Uberti. They are fun shooters. They also have some of those pesky cap problems, just like the larger cap and ball revolvers. I take it all in stride and enjoy them. I just pay attention to what is going on with the revolver during shooting. For the most part, I’ve been able to avoid caps getting stuck in the action.

Mike Belliveau found on one of his Colt’s that had horrible issues that when he filed the edges of the safety notch in the hammer that it fixed it.

Another thing is to install a cap rake and open up the groove in the recoil shield.

What is a cap rake? I've never seen one and am curios.
I think probably one of the best remedies is to get new cones (nipples) that fit the caps used.
I sure enjoy shooting my 62. Probably the most fun cap gun I own, to shoot.

In essence it’s a very small drill bit used to drill into the frame in the hammer slot. It’s placed close to the cylinder and requires a slight widening of the safety notch in the hammer to go around it when resting. Then it is cut off so a small portion protrudes out of the frame and epoxied into place. This keeps a spent cap from pulling off far enough to fall off and into the works. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Thanks, I love picking up new ideas to try out. That cap post I have got to try! Never even heard of it before!
I don't think the hammer over travel adjustment necessary as this is normal to have a bit but it might save wear on the hand nose.

The safety notch in the hammer nose will need to be addressed.

Another person has cut a penny into quarters and epoxied that and reshaped it a bit in place of a drill bit.

I haven't had major cap sucking trouble in any of these guns I have although it does happen on occasion. I think that is largely because of the after market replacement nipples.
I know properly fitting nipples and caps eliminate chain fire trouble.

Not to belabor the issue, but I have 2 "Colt" repros that do not have any safety notches at all in the hammer face, and they do not have the cap jam problem. I have 4 with notches, and they do, upon occasion, jam up the works. With them, a good hammer spring, that doesn't allow the hammer to bounce back at all minimizes the problem. My 1st. and only Uberti had such a weak spring that it would bounce back to half cock sometimes. Never had any problems at all with my Remington repro, just sayin'

I've long believed the Colt 1862 Police was the most beautiful and well proportioned of all the Colt cap & ball pistols.

I never shot mine much but I don't recall any issues with caps causing problems. At least, no more problems than they do in other Colts.

More often than not, the caps I am shooting (CCI's) blow apart when the gun fires and I tip my pistol sideways when I cock it so the fragments can fall free of the action.

I'd like to shoot it more so I can see if it does develop a "cap sucking" habit but it was among the pistols that were stolen 4 years ago. :(

There is just something alluring about the Police model. For whatever reason I’m more fond of the barrel assembly of the older Colts though despite reading that the ratchet system is much better.

Hopefully your other stolen guns will show up soon.

Zonie said:
I've long believed the Colt 1862 Police was the most beautiful and well proportioned of all the Colt cap & ball pistols.
:(

I absolutely agree with your statement. I hope to get one eventually.

I have "heard" they get the best of the best then "go over them". Should be worth the extra you pay. I got a Pietta from Ol south about 4-5 years ago and was excellent outta the box though. Let us know what ya think :thumbsup:

Back