• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 1861 availability and pricing? Or possibly an 1862?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidpost

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am initially looking for a steel framed Colt 1861 in 36 caliber. These seem to be really hard to source from my normal sources.

I am not hard over that it has to be a Pietta or an Uberti but, I think a Pietta might be a better choice for me today with its heavier springs and generally lower price.

I saw a lot of references to a place called S&S but, they didn't have any in stock. Midway was the only source with a smattering of models available. A BassPro or Academy is easier for me to access if I go normal retail. I am not opposed to going online but, I have no clue where to go for a good etailer in today's market.

The 1862 has the non-ratcheting loading lever doesn't it? Does that matter in terms of loading? I could see some merit to 5-shot option with a 5.5" barrel.

TIA,
Sid

I am initially looking for a steel framed Colt 1861 in 36 caliber. These seem to be really hard to source from my normal sources.

I am not hard over that it has to be a Pietta or an Uberti but, I think a Pietta might be a better choice for me today with its heavier springs and generally lower price.

I saw a lot of references to a place called S&S but, they didn't have any in stock. Midway was the only source with a smattering of models available. A BassPro or Academy is easier for me to access if I go normal retail. I am not opposed to going online but, I have no clue where to go for a good etailer in today's market.

The 1862 has the non-ratcheting loading lever doesn't it? Does that matter in terms of loading? I could see some merit to 5-shot option with a 5.5" barrel.

TIA,
Sid
Personally I would not recommend the Uberti 1862 Police revolver for a first handgun. In fact I would recommend it at all.
My experience with one was dreadful. It was a cap jam-o-matic. The first three shots required a complete
dis-assembly to remove cap fragments from the frame after each shot. On the next loading the hand spring broke and the gun as unloaded, cleaned, and put in the rack. Fortunately I was able to find a gunsmith (now retired) to install a cap rake and a coil spring and plunger for the hand. I seldom shoot it afraid something else will break.
That is my experience, yours may be better..
Respectfully
unk

Beware that the 1861 and 1862 are two completely different guns. The 1861 is an update of the 1851 with the sleeker 1860 style barrel, a full sized sixgun. The 1862 is a pocket model and a much smaller gun. Of the 1861's, the Uberti is closer to the original guns with the proper 7.5" barrel. The Pietta is a weird 8.5" length, among other differences. Right now the Uberti is in stock at Midway and cheaper than the Pietta version.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002298765

Personally I would not recommend the Uberti 1862 Police revolver for a first handgun. In fact I would recommend it at all.
My experience with one was dreadful. It was a cap jam-o-matic. The first three shots required a complete
dis-assembly to remove cap fragments from the frame after each shot. On the next loading the hand spring broke and the gun as unloaded, cleaned, and put in the rack. Fortunately I was able to find a gunsmith (now retired) to install a cap rake and a coil spring and plunger for the hand. I seldom shoot it afraid something else will break.
That is my experience, yours may be better..
Respectfully
unk
The Pietta “Police” model uses the Navy frame as opposed to the smaller Police model frame as used by Colt and Uberti. I expect the Pietta Police model would be as reliable as their Navy since it’s the same gun. I’ve only had one Police model Uberti and John Zimmerman worked it over. It was very reliable but just too small for my fat fingers and paws.

Back