• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1860 Vs Remington New Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think he was saying he did not believe you. He is just curious where you would be located that the density etc would prevent you from shooting etc. The fact is there are probably more places where "you" can't shoot then where we can shoot anymore! I live in Aiken, SC and I can't shoot in my neighbor hood either. I drive 30 miles each way to shoot, because most of the land around me is 'privately owned" I wish I had 20 acres to shoot on too!
Yep, then you know what I'm saying.

I actually do what I do at my home and I don't publish my address, ph. number or necessarily it's approximate location for security reasons. So, that's my answer.

Mike

I lived in Columbia for a while and commuted to Shaw AFB in Sumter. To go shooting, the quick trips were to the Palmetto State Armory indoor range where they had an hourly fee. If I wanted to shoot outdoors for as long as I wanted (for only $5.00!), I had to drive 50 miles towards the area of Sumter to use the DNR range. I really liked that one.
I use the SRRP, Savannah River Rifle & Pistol club off of Old Chalk Bed rd & rt 39. in New Holland area.

My gun club is blackpowder friendly but it's kind of an unwritten courtesy that I use the far end of the firing line with BP rifles because my gun club is used by super serious Bench Rest shooters and competitions are held there . So if any of these guys are around I stay to the end.

I used to have to drive over an hour to shoot, when I lived in NJ so I get it.

I like pre-measuring charges in small vials & cylinders worth of wads & balls in test tubes. I use one of the powderinc loading stands and a plastic Polish capper to cap so the Remington ease of cylinder removal makes the whole BP thing simple for me. I like the Remington sight. I like loading it heavy even though I use paper targets just because I like the feel. Lately I’ve been playing with a Remington snubby & when it’s dirty I take it apart and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. I like taking it apart. I have no cap jams or stickiness from use. It’s just fun.
The Colt is cool . I like that the 1860 comes apart for easy cleaning. The sight is a little less appealing to me as is cylinder removal/replacement. I try to just push the wedge in to where the spring hooks onto the barrel. As I said I really like the look of the Colt but I like the cylinder removal better on the Remy for loading. With that said, my friends all prefer Colts and load them on the gun mostly with a stand. I think if I was more used to it , I’d probably love it also. You make me want to use the 1860 Colt now that you got me thinking about it . BP Smoke and a little thunder are great things to have in life whichever way you go , so have fun with it!

I was lucky enough today to trade an old Steyr M95 Mannlicher for a Pietta 1860 Army and an 1858 Remington. Now I don't have to make the hard decision of which one to buy first! So far I like them both. Colt shoots really high and the Rem shoots pretty much on point. This was at 100 yards, cold, windy, and raining. I just shot a cylinder through both.

That's kinda what I'm doing with my Dragoons and Army's using 45C and 45acp . . .

Mike

Yeah I see the conversion cylinders for the replicas. So yeah it does look very promising. But those are typically still at lower black powder chamber pressures. We need someone to do some modern higher pressure calibers. Instead of 45 colt how about .454 Casul or .460 S&W. magnum? Something that has top strap cutting chamber pressures. Humm, it might need a much better grips setup though.

We’re talking the Odyssey and the Iliad here. Neither ever has been or will be surpassed or ever will be. I have an original 44 Army made in 1863 that has balance and looks that have not been improved upon in these many years. All that has been said about the Remington holds true. I look at them like my paternal and maternal grandfathers.

It’s kinda like choosing between a Ford or a Dodge, no right answer. Chances are you are going to get them both pretty soon.

With that said, the Remington copy is a little more user friendly for a beginner.
What makes the Remington more user friendly? The grip is poorly designed compared to the Colt, the hammer harder to reach compared to the Colt (ergonomics are important), the Remington's balance and overall feel aren't nearly as good as the Colt's, and the idea that its easily removable cylinder is a wonderful asset really doesn't count for much. The Colt's arbor is much beefier and has grooves that hold lube allowing the Colt to stay in action long after the Remington's wimpy little arbor will. I have both and would choose the Colt over the Remington any day. And, as icing on the cake, the Colt has a Victorian elegance about it that the Remington simply does not. All of the above is my humble but accurate opinion.

Yeah I see the conversion cylinders for the replicas. So yeah it does look very promising. But those are typically still at lower black powder chamber pressures. We need someone to do some modern higher pressure calibers. Instead of 45 colt how about .454 Casul or .460 S&W. magnum? Something that has top strap cutting chamber pressures. Humm, it might need a much better grips setup though.
Yeah well, I don't live at the range lol so it'll take some time. The whole idea isn't to blow up the revolver, but to see what the platform is actually capable of . . . (so far I'm in the above 20K psi arena).
I believe I mentioned something about a Dragoon platform capable of "Ruger only" loads but that's a dedicated "unmentionable" so nuff said.
The idea that the top strap is "king" as far as design goes is obvious, but only as far as economics goes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with exploring the capabilities of the open-top but it would be absolutely wrong to use an incorrect build of the very design being studied.
At this point, it's obvious that if one is shooting bp in either of the available lines of reproductions, there's no reason to have a "platform" failure ( as long as the arbor length is addressed in the Uberti). I'm not trying to start a different discussion here but comparing apples to apples, the Pietta has the correct design feature and by comparison, so should the Uberti.
It may not be as evident if loads are kept on the lighter side but full house loads should not be anywhere close to maximum for this platform. Shooting either with a loose wedge will show signs.

Mike

what I see with the colts is there are to many things in the design that have to mesh and dont unless the gun is sent out or worked on by the owner who has a talent for it. you got wedge tension short arbors pins not aligned. wedges to tight not tight enough barrel not aligned with frame. with a remington you take it out of the box and wail away with it. I use crisco over the chambers and NEVER had a cylinder bind shooting until I got tired of loading it

What makes the Remington more user friendly? The grip is poorly designed compared to the Colt, the hammer harder to reach compared to the Colt (ergonomics are important), the Remington's balance and overall feel aren't nearly as good as the Colt's, and the idea that its easily removable cylinder is a wonderful asset really doesn't count for much. The Colt's arbor is much beefier and has grooves that hold lube allowing the Colt to stay in action long after the Remington's wimpy little arbor will. I have both and would choose the Colt over the Remington any day. And, as icing on the cake, the Colt has a Victorian elegance about it that the Remington simply does not. All of the above is my humble but accurate opinion.
Your humble but accurate opinion? That is pretty funny. Therefore everyone is entitled to YOUR opinion then?

21-23,000psi is effectively DOUBLE blackpowder pressure. There's a lot of capability in that range.

There's no way an open top design could withstand the backthrust of the .454 or .460. Plain few solid frame guns can handle it. The Freedom Arms 83 grip is a dead ringer for the 1860 but those guns are hand built with near zero tolerances.

Reactions: 45D
I have an original of both the Colt and the Remington as well as a ROA and what fits me the best as far as holding and pointing is my 1863 Rogers & Spencer. Weren't those Bannerman CW R&S preferred at the early BP shoots? Never shot that one so can't comment on firing one.

21-23,000psi is effectively DOUBLE blackpowder pressure. There's a lot of capability in that range.

There's no way an open top design could withstand the backthrust of the .454 or .460. Plain few solid frame guns can handle it. The Freedom Arms 83 grip is a dead ringer for the 1860 but those guns are hand built with near zero tolerances.
I agree if we’re talking about any open top frame extant. Fair enough, you’re never going to modify the 1860 to handle .44 magnum. Could one be built? Sure! I get the feeling people are picturing a barrel being launched down range. Have any of you all ever seen a blown up revolver? The cylinder lets go, not the barrel or anything else usually. An open top using a different means of securing the barrel to the frame. Not a wedge, think more about an interrupted thread as used on various takedown rifles or bolt actions themselves. Two or three lugs on an arbor with an appropriately sized cylinder. No big deal. One could be built to handle whatever you want.

Last edited:
Killing your enemy is different than methodical paper punching. It you require fast on target pointability and deadly accuracy and 6 fast reliable shots because your life depends on it I’d choose a colt every time.
In which case I would choose my G- word with 15 rounds

I do not think he was saying he did not believe you. He is just curious where you would be located that the density etc would prevent you from shooting etc. The fact is there are probably more places where "you" can't shoot then where we can shoot anymore! I live in Aiken, SC and I can't shoot in my neighbor hood either. I drive 30 miles each way to shoot, because most of the land around me is 'privately owned" I wish I had 20 acres to shoot on too!
I drive 19 miles away to shoot at my club. No black powder restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back