• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 1860 Vs Remington New Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of competition shooters prefer to load their cylinders off the gun, as it is faster and easier and easier to be consistent by using an external cylinder loader.

So in competition, with a Remington-style revolver it's easy to pop out the cylinder, load it, and pop it back in.

With Colts you have to take the gun apart.

It can be done (I won national N-SSA medals with a bone-stock Pietta 1860 Army, though with taller front sight blade), but most N-SSA shooters prefer solid-frame revolvers.
I love loading these two Pietta Brassers off the gun

They come apart easy , and go back together in seconds. The properly fitted Pietta arbor makes it easy to just lightly tap on the wedge until the arbor is bottomed, for repeatability

I have an 1858 and removing and replacing the cylinder is a PITA, it's easier for me to just break down a pair of well used Colt repros

I would and probably will use one or both of these in a competition of some kind

Attachments

• 20221005_172743.jpg
    20221005_172743.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

They come apart easy , and go back together in seconds. The properly fitted Pietta arbor makes it easy to just lightly tap on the wedge until the arbor is bottomed, for repeatability

I have an 1858 and removing and replacing the cylinder is a PITA, it's easier for me to just break down a pair of well used Colt repros

I would and probably will use one or both of these in a competition of some kind
I have never owned a brasser. In your experience, do they have any issues or problems or wear more than a steel version?

curious, why are the loading levers off the pistols?

curious, why are the loading levers off the pistols?
It all started, when I bought one of the $220 .44 Brassers from MidWay. It arrived with a sloppily fit loading lever catch and a loading lever that was a little short, and rattled around.

Since I already removed the loading levers from these to decide if I was going to "Avenging Angel" snub them, I removed the catch from one and used the loading lever, and it fit perfectly in the. 44

I knocked the other loading lever catch off the other gun, and started carrying them to the range in a leather bag , since there was no longer a sharp lever latch to cut the bag up.

I also started to love how they looked and handled with no levers, and I already had a loading press

So, they became dedicated Bullseye target guns that I use 10gr target loads in and load off the gun, and they balance very nicely in my hand with a little less weight up front

They're just something different, they kind of have a "conversion " look to them now and I've fired 100s of rounds through them like that, and I'm leaving them like that forever now . They're super accurate guns

I have never owned a brasser. In your experience, do they have any issues or problems or wear more than a steel version?
I have 6 Brasser Navies now, including 2 .44's . I fire all of them a lot, I haven't had a single problem. I'm not always careful with the loads either, my one .44 Brasser took over 100 rounds with Pyrodex out of a T/C flask with probably a 30gr spout on it , on one range trip and it's still as tight as new

I had heard, that Pietta uses a better brass alloy now and the frames aren't butter soft like the older ones

I still keep the charges down to about 20 most times

I've settled on these two contenders as my first big bore percussion pistol. I'm probably opening up a hornets nest, but which one would you recommend? Thanks
The Remington is sweet girl next door whereas the Colts are the sexy supermodel.
I absolutely love Colts, full stop.
My Remingtons have never failed to fire unless it was a gross mistake on my part.
I believe Wild Bill Cody said about his 1858 Remingtons:
"They never failed me".

I'd say probably because Pedersoli doesn't make or have made a " premium " barrel for Uberti or Pietta open-top revolvers.
My most accurate revolver is a Whitneyville Dragoon that can stack bullets one on top of the other . All the rest of my revolvers aren't far from that! I believe a year or two ago a fellow won with an out of the box Walker!! It was a "Cap and Ball" video ( the Hungarian guy).

Mike
Pedersoli currently makes the best cap and ball revolver available new today, an 1858 pattern Remington. They are expensive but aside from a used Hege or Feinwerkbau they are the best for target work.

Well yes, that's exactly what I mean. They screw in a high precision barrel and there ya go. It would be a much bigger ordeal to manufacture a barrel assembly for an open top.

Mike

Well yes, that's exactly what I mean. They screw in a high precision barrel and there ya go. It would be a much bigger ordeal to manufacture a barrel assembly for an open top.

Mike
It would seem to me that "screwing" in a precision barrel is what all top makers do like; Colt, S&W, Korth, etc.??

Well, bout a month or so back, someone mentioned on here that Pietta and Uberti were going to go up in price I believe in October. Soooooo - I jumped on line and bought a Pietta 1860 Army from Midway and man, I love it. I always liked my 51 Navy resting in the palm of my hand and didn't think it could get any better but guess what, for the first time in my life I was wrong. ;)

I've heard its better to be hated than ignored, not so sure about that :)

My humble opinion is….it doesn’t matter much! Both guns are more than capable of longevity reliability accuracy etc. what does matter (I think) is a good set of nipples! Whatever gun you get, invest in a set of nipples that fit the caps properly!! Good nipples will keep you shooting longer no matter what gun you pick! Just my opinion, YMMV 😃

The Remington is sweet girl next door whereas the Colts are the sexy supermodel.
I absolutely love Colts, full stop.
My Remingtons have never failed to fire unless it was a gross mistake on my part.
I believe Wild Bill Cody said about his 1858 Remingtons:
"They never failed me".
The Remington is the long-legged pole vaulter, and the Colt 1860 is the gymnast with the over-sized quads who competes on the uneven bars.

Both have their aesthetic virtues, but the question is as to the proportions one prefers.

Reactions: TDM
If it were 1863 , and I was a young Lieutenant and was issued a Remington 1858, and it worked well I would be just fine with it, and I'd feel like I had a good sidearm

It's not like I'd throw it away and pick up the first Colt I saw.

They are both capable and effective revolvers for the job the US Govt bought them for

It's just personal preference, I have a Uberti 1858 but it honestly doesn't get my blood flowing and I'm not chomping at the bit to take it out and shoot it. I feel like I might as well own one , being an enthusiast.

There are pics of Confederate raiders carrying both , they worked and they used what they could get

I think it would be an interesting CAS rig for the percussion matches to have 1 1860 Army and 1 1858 Remington. People usually go with one or the other, why not just enjoy both 😀

If it were 1863 , and I was a young Lieutenant and was issued a Remington 1858, and it worked well I would be just fine with it, and I'd feel like I had a good sidearm

It's not like I'd throw it away and pick up the first Colt I saw.

They are both capable and effective revolvers for the job the US Govt bought them for

It's just personal preference, I have a Uberti 1858 but it honestly doesn't get my blood flowing and I'm not chomping at the bit to take it out and shoot it. I feel like I might as well own one , being an enthusiast.

There are pics of Confederate raiders carrying both , they worked and they used what they could get

I think it would be an interesting CAS rig for the percussion matches to have 1 1860 Army and 1 1858 Remington. People usually go with one or the other, why not just enjoy both 😀
Heck, I'd carry both at a match. It would be kind of fun switching between the two like some quirky bounty hunter.

Heck, I'd carry both at a match. It would be kind of fun switching between the two like some quirky bounty hunter.
I love mismatched "rigs", I know serious competitors have matched revolvers but rarely did anyone carry a matching pair of wheelguns.

I'd use my polished up Uberti 1858 with bonded ivory grips in the fancy tooled holster and my beat up .36 brasser "Schneider & Glassick" in a ratty flap holster like I was a B movie rogue gunslinger . I'd be like, I took this off my company commander after he got hit at Gettysburg, we had some good times together......as part of my mysterious persona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back