• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1860 Vs Remington New Model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've settled on these two contenders as my first big bore percussion pistol. I'm probably opening up a hornets nest, but which one would you recommend? Thanks

The Remington is probably the more " user friendly" for starters. After you get used to the smile on your face, you will have the "need" to find out what the open-top is all about. Then you may never look back!!

Mike

The Remington is a simple, no frills revolver and was designed as such.

I have one, and have owned several over the years. They are good, solid guns.

They just don't have the "magic" that the open top Colts and repros do.

The 1860 Army by Pietta is on sale for $280 right now at MidWay. You'll quickly see why these were a favorite revolver of pretty much everyone that used them.

It’s kinda like choosing between a Ford or a Dodge, no right answer. Chances are you are going to get them both pretty soon.

With that said, the Remington copy is a little more user friendly for a beginner.

It's just me, personally, but the Remington looks and handles like every other solid frame revolver, and if I wanted to shoot one of those I could just go shoot my Vaquero or Uberti Model P clones

The ability to just pop the cylinder out to wipe it out quickly and lube the pin, and keep shooting is nice.

I also love the huge horse pistols like the Dragoon and my Walkers, they are what got me back into shooting cap and ballers after years of not shooting them. I bought a Uberti Dragoon about 4 years ago to replace one I sold years ago and I remembered why I thought they were so cool. An afternoon of blasting 40 or 50 grain charges and blowing smoke, big booms and blasting targets will make you a fan of the Colt open tops.

I actually had a Navy Arms 1851 years ago, but I never loaded it or shot it. I'd pick it up now and then and click back the hammer, so I definitely get the "Colt thing". It was later stolen.

The Remington New Model Army is a more technologically advanced firearm than the Colt 1860 Army.

• The cylinder can be removed without disassembling the gun.
  • The solid frame on the Remington means you have more mechanical consistency inherent to the design.
  • The grips can be removed with a single screw. On the Colt you have to remove the grip frame. This makes it easier to "dunk clean" the Remington.
  • The rear sight is fixed on the Remington. On the Colt, it moves when you pull the trigger.

The Remington is probably the more " user friendly" for starters. After you get used to the smile on your face, you will have the "need" to find out what the open-top is all about. Then you may never look back!!

Mike
That's exactly the order in which I got my Remington and then my Colt 1860.

I've settled on these two contenders as my first big bore percussion pistol. I'm probably opening up a hornets nest, but which one would you recommend? Thanks

I have both, and vastly prefer the grip snd frame arrangement of the Colt.
Since the Remington grip tapers so rapidly from rear to front, it is more likely tjo slip to the rear through your hand during recoil unless gripped very tightly than the Colt.
Too many people. Think they really need to drive in the wedge really tight, accelerating the wear and tear on everything. Mine will fully seat with moderate thumb pressure, and will usually pop out for disassembly with firm thumb pressure, If that does not release the wedge, a single pop with the butt end of a screwdriver will free it.
I have several Colts two of which have been fired hundreds of times. The Uberti 1851 Navy, in fact has well over a thousand rounds thru it, and is still as good as new. Over 90% of them full-powered loads.
Avoid the brass-framed guns. They cost a little less up front, but the resale value is less too.
If the open top shoots loose after a thousand rounds or more, simply have a percussion revolver gunsmith tighten it up, or simply buy another one. They are relatively inexpensive.

How long does a reproduction percussion revolver need to last?

That's exactly the order in which I got my Remington and then my Colt 1860.
Same order of gun purchase for me as well. For target shooting the Remington is far and away the better gun but I believe the 60 is equal in accuracy but because of the sight crudness and radius cannot be realized.

The Remington New Model Army is a more technologically advanced firearm than the Colt 1860 Army.

• The cylinder can be removed without disassembling the gun.
  • The solid frame on the Remington means you have more mechanical consistency inherent to the design.
  • The grips can be removed with a single screw. On the Colt you have to remove the grip frame. This makes it easier to "dunk clean" the Remington.
  • The rear sight is fixed on the Remington. On the Colt, it moves when you pull the trigger.
Hmmmmmm . . . that's definitely debatable.
- You shouldn't need to remove the cylinder unless you're cleaning it. I know Remies tend to " bind" after a few shots so . . . With the barrel removed, you can actually clean the open-top (correctly) instead of from the muzzle.

- The open-top design (when correctly executed or corrected if not) in fact does give you the same revolver each time it's assembled. Its more compact/ beefier structure is stronger than the spread out "perimeter" top-strap design which is more susceptible to distortion by shooting/ loading ( like I have had happen).

- "Dunk" cleaning . . . Nuff said

- All my revolvers are quite accurate ( they include the Remington platform and the Ruger platform as well) and my friends that use the plastic semi's love to shoot them too ( makes um look good!! Lol). But, I will say fixed sights are a nice feature but, you're telling me that my Whitneyville Dragoon that stacks bullets on top of each other would do it better if the rear sight didn't move? Lol . It's hammer is shimed so it doesn't move side to side, just fore and aft.

This post is no way in anger but more so a thought provoking context. Modern "seeming" technology may not necessarily be "better" in any particular area other than the manufacturing process . . .

Mike

Last edited:
- You shouldn't need to remove the cylinder unless you're cleaning it.
If you just used up all of your ammo on some hired "deputies" and have to reload when you face down the corrupt owner of a strip mining operation, then you definitely need to remove the cylinder so you can swap in a new one as you walk towards him with a menacing glare on your face.
With the barrel removed, you can actually clean the open-top (correctly) instead of from the muzzle.
Well, that's why boresnakes were invented.

If you just used up all of your ammo on some hired "deputies" and have to reload when you face down the corrupt owner of a strip mining operation, then you definitely need to remove the cylinder so you can swap in a new one as you walk towards him with a menacing glare on your face.

Well, that's why boresnakes were invented.
Dangit! Forgot about them dang hired deputies!!!

And them dang boresnakes !!!! ( I use them too !!! ( for a final though))

Y'all are messin with me . . .

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back