• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1860 Vs Remington New Model thread is closed, so here is another opinion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seventeen pages of postings, the thread was closed.
I was so close to ending this controversy.
So, I will say it here.....

If the Remington was good enough for Angel Eyes, it should be good enough for everybody, full stop. šŸ˜
The only thing I am finding is that the NMA is faster to take apart to work on!

I wonder if there would be as big a difference in opinions if the open-top platform had been executed correctly from the beginning of the reproductions. For over 60 years they've been built wrong (save for late Pietta's) so, apples and oranges have been the subjects for comparison.

Mike

I wonder if there would be as big a difference in opinions if the open-top platform had been executed correctly from the beginning of the reproductions. For over 60 years they've been built wrong (save for late Pietta's) so, apples and oranges have been the subjects for comparison.

Mike
I also firmly believe that the existence of reproductions of both Colts and Remingtons, for now over 20 years longer than the entire production run of the first percussion Colt to the last and probably 100x as many repros exist than originals were ever made.....it's natural that opinions are strongly based on reproductions.

If, in an alternate universe Colt kept making percussion revolvers just like they did the Model P, and made them correctly , opinions would be much different.

I don't know if anyone remembers, about the year 2001 or so there was a vague rumor that Remington was going to release an 1858 Remington percussion revolver made in house as a limited "Tribute" model but it never happened. They'd probably just be label slapped Ubertis anyway "fitted" by Remington. They never did it, they probably thought about doing what Colt did with the 2nd Gens but figured it wasn't profitable.

Dr Nemeth shoots an original 1860 Army and an original 1858 Remington in one of his videos, I'm like, finally someone is shooting the actual real guns and giving feedback that is fact based and not emotional

Dr Nemeth shoots an original 1860 Army and an original 1858 Remington in one of his videos, I'm like, finally someone is shooting the actual real guns and giving feedback that is fact based and not emotional

I should take both my original Remington New Army Model '1858' and my original Colt 1860 Army to the range sometime as well...

I should take both my original Remington New Army Model '1858' and my original Colt 1860 Army to the range sometime as well...
That's really the only way to get a good feel for the real guns, the repros were based on

I have an original 1861 Springfield, when occasionally someone says their Armi Sport 1861 has finicky ignition, and Enfields are better, they don't know how these functioned "in combat " I tell them, the repros are not originals and you really can't say an Italian Enfield "is better" than an Italian Springfield based on mass produced repros that are made to a price point for reenactor blank firing and range plinking.

I remember back in about 1992 or so, my Dad bought me a tin of caps at the Colt museum in Gettysburg, and I popped them on my ASM 1860 Army . They were corrosive and super loud, and I think were made in Germany, maybe RWS? I live fired with them too and I don't recall cap jams as a kid. So maybe these caps were closer to the originals that werd used. Just a random thought

I am just about to start using the Prime All soda can primers on all of my stuff as I am just about out of caps. Who knows they might work better. Seems a bit ridiculous they are out of stock all over. Just about ordered 1000 from Powder Valley awhile back and figured they would be in stock for awhile. Nope!

I believe in a previous post that he showed that it bottomed out about .040" too deep.
I'm not sure I'm tracking with you. Are you saying there is a .040 gap at the end of the arbor and bottom of the well or that the arbor itself is .040 to long in the well ? That would mean the key would not go in fully, no?

I am just about to start using the Prime All soda can primers on all of my stuff as I am just about out of caps. Who knows they might work better. Seems a bit ridiculous they are out of stock all over. Just about ordered 1000 from Powder Valley awhile back and figured they would be in stock for awhile. Nope!
I just bought a set of nipples from the guy on Ebay who turns them to accept red toy caps šŸ˜€

They are only 30 bucks a set, he says he's been using them for years , he shoots 300 rounds per week with red caps and the ones with white primer work well, and even ignite Pyrodex

They still will take standard caps so I figured it's worth a shot if I can pick up Parris toy caps for 3 bucks per 200 at a grocery store and use them for range plinking.

I'm not sure I'm tracking with you. Are you saying there is a .040 gap at the end of the arbor and bottom of the well or that the arbor itself is .040 to long in the well ? That would mean the key would not go in fully, no?
Yes I am pretty sure it the hole in the barrel for the arbor was too deep. Hopefully he will chime in and clarify.

I just bought a set of nipples from the guy on Ebay who turns them to accept red toy caps šŸ˜€

They are only 30 bucks a set, he says he's been using them for years , he shoots 300 rounds per week with red caps and the ones with white primer work well, and even ignite Pyrodex

They still will take standard caps so I figured it's worth a shot if I can pick up Parris toy caps for 3 bucks per 200 at a grocery store and use them for range plinking.
I have some of those CCI #10 caps. Not sure what those are supposed to fit. They are way small for everything but seem pretty hot. I have some extra nipples that I could modify to use those on my Hawken. Might just go that route so I have more caps to bust in the ballers! Send me an old nipple and I can modify it to fit whatever cap you want. I have a full machine shop over here. That is my full time gig. Wondered also about using musket caps on a pistol. How big are those things? I see Schuetzen is stepping it up and at least supplying those.

I have some of those CCI #10 caps. Not sure what those are supposed to fit. They are way small for everything but seem pretty hot. I have some extra nipples that I could modify to use those on my Hawken. Might just go that route so I have more caps to bust in the ballers! Send me an old nipple and I can modify it to fit whatever cap you want. I have a full machine shop over here. That is my full time gig. Wondered also about using musket caps on a pistol. How big are those things? I see Schuetzen is stepping it up and at least supplying those.
Musket caps would be way, way too big . They were made for easy handling in combat.

CCI #10 only fit on my Colt Pocket Navy

I have bags of nipples laying around and a few tins of every cap that currently exists, I honestly like Pietta stock nipples because CCI 11's can pinch fit perfectly on them and they still fit Rem 10s and 11s, and RWS 1075

Everything except CCI #11 is hard to get anyway except when Cabelas gets Rem 10's in, which at this point I don't even worry about because I've pretty much standardized on CCI #11 at this point

I had told myself, the day I try the toy cap thing is when I need to take a hard look at maybe taking a break from cap and ballers but they look fun and I just want to try it

I communicated with the gentleman that makes them, he's very cordial and he told me that every other cap can still fit the same nipples and he also uses CCI #11, so there's no reason not to try them

I don't feel like he's spinning me to sell a $30 set of nipples that would be about 30 bucks anyway and he even said he'll send a pack of red caps and if they don't work , he'll refund me . I'm like ok any man who backs up his work like that has my business šŸ˜€

I had told myself, the day I try the toy cap thing is when I need to take a hard look at maybe taking a break from cap and ballers but they look fun and I just want to try it

I communicated with the gentleman that makes them, he's very cordial and he told me that every other cap can still fit the same nipples and he also uses CCI #11, so there's no reason not to try them

I don't feel like he's spinning me to sell a $30 set of nipples that would be about 30 bucks anyway and he even said he'll send a pack of red caps and if they don't work , he'll refund me . I'm like ok any man who backs up his work like that has my business šŸ˜€
Iā€™m interested to here how these work for you when you get to try them.

Iā€™m interested to here how these work for you when you get to try them.
I'll definitely make a thread about my range trip with these

The caps are cheap but it's still a $35 hazmat fee to ship them so I'll be looking at Dollar Stores or hobby shops for the red single shot caps

I have some ring caps laying around , apparently as long as the compound is white they're all the same

I'll definitely make a thread about my range trip with these

The caps are cheap but it's still a $35 hazmat fee to ship them so I'll be looking at Dollar Stores or hobby shops for the red single shot caps

I have some ring caps laying around , apparently as long as the compound is white they're all the same
Guess Iā€™ll have to add caps to my shopping list.

Back