• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1860 copy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a copy of a Colt 1860 Army. I picked this thing up in 1972-73 for I think about $35.00. I bought it from the original owner who purchased it in the 1960's sometime. It has had very few rounds through it.
There are no markings on this revolver other than "1960 ARMY" on top of the barrel, a centaur (spelling ?) on the left side of the frame where Colt's patent would be on a Colt. On the bottom of the grip frame are the words "Made in Belgium".
The bluing is dark blue and was very nice. The frame is steel and the backstrap and trigger guard are steel. The cylinder is full fluted.
Does anybody have an idea who made this thing ? I need a part or two to get it going again. It has been in my safe for a very, very long time... years.
:confused:

Congrats DD: you got yourself one of these rare Belgian Colts "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY" made between 1959 and 1973 by Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liège in Belgium. You find the story of these pistols on www.1960nma.org. I am the pard behind this website and would like to invite you to have the specifics of your pistol included in our survey of serial numbers. Please, download a questionaire from the website, complete it and mail it to me.
Regarding spares of even a repair, please send me a mail to [email protected] with some details. I will point you to a gunsmith in the USA who is very experienced "healing" these Centennial Armies.
Long Johns Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for the information regarding the Belgian Colt 1860 Army. My interest in that revolver has been re-awakened. I was seriously considering adding it to the heap of scrap metal for recycling. Maybe it would have come back as a bumper on a Toyota...
I do need to get a part or two to get it running again. Hopefully it won't be difficult.
I can say that this revolver has always felt different in my hand from the Italian copies I have. It does feel close to the Colts I have. I was getting ready to toss it out the other night, but when I held it possibly for the last time, it spoke to me. I put it back in the safe and decided to give this forum a whirl.
The information you provided me with was very interesting.
Thankyou again.

Back when Colt was making the original C&B revolvers, unauthorized copies were made in several countries around the world. Today they are called "brevettes" and are collectible themselves--though nowhere near as valuable as the real guns. Belgium was one of the countries turning out these counterfeit guns, so when they produced these latterday copies, they were actually following an old tradition!

It is a nice piece, even if it spends the rest of it's life as a paper weight. It has a three digit serial number. Kind of cool. :thumbsup:

Shouldn't be that hard to get it shooting again. The ones I've seen are well made and well worth a little effort.

The horse shoe is only partially out. It's a touchy situation with those dang nails snaggin' on stuff. :rotf:

prob made in FN herstal they also produced the B.A.R and other famous weapons like the p90 ...
proud to be a belgian ^^

I can tell you this, it is one nice piece of equipment. I don't know if you checked the link above near the top, but there is some information you might be interested in. It was really interesting, more so than just the run of the mill stuff you might come across from time to time. I have never been in your neck of the woods before. Other family members have. They said it is beautiful, but a little snowy in the winter. :thumbsup:

Why don't you post a picture if it?The 1860 Army Colt is one of my fave black-powder guns!
2007_0324colt0002.jpg

I would like to post a picture of the revolver, but I have to figure this posting pictures and stuff out first. My kids are camping, so I have to fend for myself. :redface:

Back