Colt 1860 Army 2nd Generation

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I got a Colt 1860 Army 2nd Generation that is unfired . It has all matching serial numbers that I can find .
I took the barrel and cylinder off & used some straight Ballistol on them.
The gun cocks to 1/2 and full cock and cylinder spins but the wedge does not go all the way back in. It seems to get hung up right when it should be getting through the frame .
I’ll take it all apart and clean it up because I’m sure it’s a little gummy from being in storage all these years and it’s fun to do anyway!

If anyone with experience with these guns can offer any help on getting the wedge back in all the way I’d like to here it.

Ron

steg49

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just check mine and as I thought the barrel key (wedge) slips in easy till it engages the right side of the frame then it is tight. I use a small soft headed hammer to tap it in the rest of the way. I want it tight so the barrel does not back away from the cylinder. Check and make sure your barrel is pushed in all the way, then If YOU WANT gently tap the wedge in till the locking spring and catch are in place. To remove my wedge I need to push down of the locking spring then gently tap the wedge till it is even with the frame then I can pull it out by hand. Just the way mine works someone else may have different thoughts. steg49

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
Sounds similar to mine …I think the gun was made in 1979 & I’m cautious about just hitting it with anything on day 1. I got the wedge out using a wooden dowel I had cut down to do wedges … got it out pretty easily. It’s nice because the wedge does not fall out when it’s out far enough to take off the barrel . The set screw above seems to hold it in place .
It seems this cylinder will not be as easy to remove as the Remington NMA for reloading ..I always load the Remington with paper cartridges on a loading stand rather than in the gun.
Colt seems like you really have to reload in the gun…

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I took out the set screw for the wedge to take it out to check the little retaining spring which seems to flex just fine . Tried tapping the wedge in with a plastic headed mallet but it just won’t go back in… taking it easy for now.

44Bro

32 Cal
Reaction score
Tap the head of the wedge towards the cylinder then tap it home.

poker

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wedges arent supposed to be driven in “all the way”. Just so they barely come thru is typically correct. Check your barrel to cylinder gap as you put one in and you will see why.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I actually got it through without the arbor. The spring lip that’s supposed to hook on the right side of gun is hanging up rather than passing through the frame. It looks to have been slightly blunted on one side.
I used a small pick to depress the spring via the arbor hole and it went in easily. It’s a matching number part so I don’t really want to screw with it so I ordered an Uberti wedge to see if I can make that work. I bought the gun to shoot so I’ll just keep the numbered wedge in the Box with the papers etc …if I get the Uberti wedge to do the job.

BTW , what size balls do any of you use in a 2nd Gen. & do you disassemble completely for cleaning ?
A56383B9-A0FB-4F05-B1D3-C758F3037C81.jpeg

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
Issue resolved by getting a Uberti replacement wedge filing a bit off. I have to use a brass wedge tool to tap it out and a plastic headed hammer to put it in so the wedge is a nice tight fit. The gun was made in 1979 and unfired to date. A nice reissue from Colt.

Latest posts