• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1860 Army 2nd. Gen. & Slixshot nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve seen some mention of Slixshot nipples helping to keep cap fragments out of Colt action. Has anyone had experience with this setup?
The Slixshot guy said Uberti version fits the 2nd generation . I really have yet to have problems but was curious if anyone who has used them had thoughts .

Last edited:
Yea, the threading isn’t the issue . The cone on the slixshots is a bit longer than the stock nipples but that seems better than being shorter.

I had contacted the manufacturer about what thread pitch to order for my revolvers.

He told me to go to a hardware store like Lowe’s and put the OEM nipple in the thread gauge to determine whether it was English or metric.

Good advice as I knew what to order and didn’t have any problems.

I looked at the packaging for the Slix-Shot nipples for my 2nd generation Colt revolvers.

For the 1860 Army the packaging says "For most Uberti Cap & Ball Revolvers 12-28 Thread."

For the 3rd Model Dragoon the packaging says "For Most Walker Cap & Ball Revolvers 1/4 by 28 Thread."

I looked at the packaging for the Slix-Shot nipples for my 2nd generation Colt revolvers.

For the 1860 Army the packaging says "For most Uberti Cap & Ball Revolvers 12-28 Thread."

For the 3rd Model Dragoon the packaging says "For Most Walker Cap & Ball Revolvers 1/4 by 28 Thread."
So do you use them on your 2nd Gen 1860?

So do you use them on your 2nd Gen 1860?

Yes. The revolvers have never shot better.

With respect to the 3rd Model Dragoon, some of the OEM nipples were too short. The caps were not detonating every time.

That's because the OEM nipples were on the short side.

The Slix-Shot nipples solved that problem. I use them in all of my cap & ball revolvers.

So far, I have:

Navy Arms (Pietta) 1858 Remington .44 Cal
2nd Generation Colt 1860 Army
2nd Generation Colt 3rd Model Dragoon
A.S.M. Colt 1862 Police .36 Cal
Navy Arms (Pietta) Cavalry LeMat
Pietta 1851 Navy .36 Cal

I convinced my friends to install the SLix-Shot nipples in their revolvers as well and they haven't looked back.

Yes. The revolvers have never shot better.

With respect to the 3rd Model Dragoon, some of the OEM nipples were too short. The caps were not detonating every time.

That's because the OEM nipples were on the short side.

The Slix-Shot nipples solved that problem. I use them in all of my cap & ball revolvers.

So far, I have:

Navy Arms (Pietta) 1858 Remington .44 Cal
2nd Generation Colt 1860 Army
2nd Generation Colt 3rd Model Dragoon
A.S.M. Colt 1862 Police .36 Cal
Navy Arms (Pietta) Cavalry LeMat
Pietta 1851 Navy .36 Cal

I convinced my friends to install the SLix-Shot nipples in their revolvers as well and they haven't looked back.
What caps are you using on the 1860?
I have a bunch of RWS Plus caps that I hope work well on them .

I made them for myself, I took a real small Dremel bit and ground one hole in each nipple. They really do a good job !

Attachments

• Nipple.jpg
    Nipple.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 49
Back