• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 1851 vs. Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first '51 Navy was ordered directly from Navy Arms in the very late 1970's. It was the round barreled Leech and Rigdon version and cost $95 + ship. I lived on the home place in those days a long ways from anywhere and I had pop and beer cans set up against a berm in the driveway. I fired on them whenever I had spare time, caps and powder were cheap and easy to get. Like every stock '51 I have owned since the L & R shot a foot high at 10 yards, but since I had not yet begun my machining career, I had to just hold under and live with it. I was already taking my guns apart and attempting to fix them, but I really did not know much then. All of the Italian made springs at that time gave up one by one, and replacement parts and springs ordered from DGW usually fared not much better. The gun shot like a house afire, as have all the 1851 replicas I have owned since, the trouble was to keep it running. Eventually a wannabee "gunsmith" stole it from me under the guise of working on it. He split town and ripped off several of us. Now when I break something I build my own internals from the correct steels, fit them up properly, heat treat as necessary and away we go. I sure wish I still had the old Leech and Rigdon today, but the only original parts would be the frame, rammer, cylinder and the barrel. I should not complain I currently own at least four Navies in various stages of tuning.
An interesting tale; too bad about the so-called "gunsmith"! I liked reading your comments about your actual shooting experience. Thanks!

Thanx. I am a gun crank from way back. Too bad all this accumulated gun knowledge hasn't done me much good other than entertaining my coworkers and friends. Recently semi retired I am on the verge of having some money and some time at the same time. Plenty to do on our small property, but maybe I can get caught up a little on the outside stuff and get some organization and sorting done in the shop. I have no shortage of gun projects to be working on, that is for sure.

Although my experience with real-v-replica is limited, I was instantly impressed by the accuracy of the Rodgers & Spencer replica I handled back in 1978, right next to the real thing, which was not for sale. It felt exactly like the real deal, fitted my hand and in every way I could see was in fact what it said it was, a replica. I bought it, and had years of enjoyment with it until I got back to UK whereupon I sold it at great profit. wisht' I'd kept it now.

My understanding was that the Uberti 1851 was so close to
the original that many parts would interchange. Over time
Pietta has improved in quality and they might now have
conformed the replicas to match the originals. The one thing
everyone agrees upon is that no revolver since has matched
the natural pointability of the 1851 Colt. Back in the day,
it was a preferred side arm and carried by huge numbers
of soldiers in the pre-1860 Colt days. Many modern black
powder authorities prefer the 1851 Colt and recommend
them widely for their shooting enjoyment.
thanks Bill for the idea i believe i will shoot my 1851 in the morning. Too hot )99) now.
Bunk

Question for 4575wcf: Do you do gunsmithing or tuning
jobs?? You can get plenty of work. Might have something
myself for repair. To have done. If so contact info besides
here?
I have considered doing something like this, but my shop is hopeless at this time. The Mrs. and I are 4 feet deep (literally) in our septic system dig currently. Seems I find time to open the shop occasionally, heave something in, and slam the door before it rolls back out. : ). With 1700 square feet of shop space and 480 3 phase brought in next year or so, the possibilities are endless but seems I need a twin to get the outside stuff done. Here I am complaining again, I am digging my dirt with my tractor on my time. I have no banker and I have no boss so I have no real complaints.

Latest posts

Back