• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt 1849 pocket Italian Repro help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made what I think was a great buy at a gunshow today.

$90..timing looks spot on. Looks to me that it was a kit gun that someone didn't finish.

The only thing stamped on it besides proofs is MADE IN ITALY ans CAL 31 BLACK POWDER ONLY on the sides of the barrel.

Nothing on the bottom flat of the barrel.

Anyone have any idea who made it and when?

Thanks

Here are the proofs

The "shield" with the star over it was used by Palmetto of Brescia, Italy. Most likely a kit gun sold by Dixie Gunworks or other mail-order houses.

curator said:
The "shield" with the star over it was used by Palmetto of Brescia, Italy.
Most likely a kit gun sold by Dixie Gunworks or other mail-order houses.

The "shield" with a hammer, anvil and crossed swords in it,and with the star over it appears on all Italian guns.

It represents the Gardone Proof House Provisional test and it is one part of the Italian proof marking system.

The "PN" with a star over it is the other Italian proof mark. It represents the Gardone black powder test.

For those who don't know, the box or rectangle with Roman Numberals or capital letters in it show the year the proofing was done.

After a few hours of research I finally stumbled across this information that was posted in 2010 on another gun forum. I will paste/quote the post below. So far this is the best info I found concerning .31 reproductions.

Author Topic: Manufacturers of the .31cal. Revolvers (Read 13516 times)

Manufacturers of the .31cal. Revolvers
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:22:39 PM »
Manufacturers of the .31cal Replica Revolvers

It is interesting to note that the original Colt .31cal. revolvers had two different size frames and used Oval Cylinder Stops and Rectangular Cylinder Stops. Also, on the early Baby Dragoons the frame is shorter than on the later models. This is found in the replica revolvers as well but in reverse order. Only four manufacturers made the Colt .31cal. replica revolvers. They were Armi San Marco, Palmetto, Uberti, and Colt in both 2nd & 3rd Generation Series. Both ASM and Pietta made the Remington 1863 Pocket Model. Only Pietta made these in steel and nickel plated.

Armi San Marco was the first to produce the Baby Dragoons and Pocket Models. They all have the Short Frame and Rectangular Cylinder Stops. This is just the opposite from the original which had short frames but oval cylinder stops. ASM produced both the Baby Dragoons and Pocket Models in addition to the Remington 1863 New Model Pocket. The first observed ASM markings on .31cal. revolvers are in the mid to late 1960’s.

The only observed .31cal. Palmetto produced was an 1849 Pocket Model. It was marked “HARTFORT POCKET MODEL “ on top of the barrel. Serial Number was on the Cylinder with the Palmetto logo of a Palm Tree. It has a Long Frame with Rectangular Cylinder Stops.

The Uberti .31cal. Baby Drgoon revolvers have the Long Frame and Oval Cylinder Stops, again, just the opposite of the original Colt revolvers. The Pocket Models have Long Frames and Rectangular Cylinder Stops. From revolvers observed (over 100) it appears that Uberti did not start producing any .31cal. revolvers until the early 1980’s. They did, however, provide parts to Colt in the late 1970’s for its 2nd Generation “F” Series Baby Dragoon.

Colt produced the 1848 Baby Dragoon in both the 2nd & 3rd Generation Series. It offered a Cased Limited Edition of this model in a 1 of 500 edition, as well as, a regular issue in the 2nd Generation Series. It offered only a regular issue in the 3rd Generation or Signature Series. Since Colt used Uberti parts the Colt 2nd & 3rd Generation Baby Dragoons have this same configuration as Uberti of Long Frame with Oval Cylinder Stops.

The Replica .31cal. revolvers may have plain cylinders, the Ormsby’s Ranger & Indian Fight, or Ormsby’s Stagecoach Holdup engravings. The size of the frame is measured from the face of the flash guard to the front of the frame where the barrel attaches to the frame. The Short Frame measures 1 5/8” and the Long Frame is 1 ¾”. They can be readily be identified by the difference in distance between the back of the barrel and the front of the cylinder.

An added note:

It is not really known when Colt stopped using the Oval Cylinder Stop and started using the Rectangular Cylinder Stop. Even though the Oval Cylinder Stop is usually associated with the short frame this style could very easily have been used on the first Long Frame Baby Dragoons. The cylinders are the same length. It was the barrel that was modified to accommodate the longer frame.

Dixie sold a kit for a while of a 1849 like this but I didn't think kits were proofed?

Back