• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt’s Dragoons!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I have used a pair of Uberti Second Model Dragoons at Cowboy shoots. Of course that's only about 7-8 hours of walking around and I normally use other guns, but it didn't seem too bad. The Dragoons were very pleasant to shoot. I just finished up a pair of Uberti Walkers and will have to wait until next season to see how that goes.

Did you use suspenders for them dragoon’s?

I'm wondering if that image is reversed like the one showing Billy the Kid with a left handed Winchester. Also, the "Ranger" on the left looks about 14 years old to me.
I'd guess he is really about 17 or 18; look at his knuckles. He's been around the block some. If he could ride, shoot, and cook for himself he was fit to be a Ranger. I think the image is reversed, and I can't imagine anyone except the most desperate criminal impersonating a Texas Ranger, it just wouldn't be good for your health.

I have almost pulled the trigger on the Walker replica, but the walkers had some problems that bothered me, such as the loading lever not staying in place. I have seen modification for this problem, but I like the style of the Dragoon and definitely the loading lever latch.
This post has inspired my interest in the Dragoon.
Did the 3rd model arrive before the cartridge models?

Initially I wanted a 2nd Model as I like the squares trigger guard, but now I’d prefer the Walker due to the history.

The Colt 3rd Dragoon does, indeed, possess a nice heft and robust appearance. Its design incorporates most of Colt's refinements in ML revolver development. It is said to be Samuel Colt's personal favorite. These guns are great at the range: Attract positive attention, make BIG smoke clouds and, most importantly, shoot accurately (after tuning the sights.)
The interesting thing, I discovered, it that although it looks HUGE and my Ruger Old Army merely looks large, they are about the same size. The Colt cylinder is larger, true, but my more recently purchased 3rd Dragoon fits nicely into the holster I've used for many years to carry my Old Army.
Obviously, a Walker would be a different story.

When I began muzzle loading (age 17) a kind retired military mentor advised me to practice hold and form with a canteen hung from my rifle's muzzle. Every day, as many times per day as possible. Today, I practice hold and form with my 3rd Dragoon, every day, as many times per day as possible. The result is a lighter-than-air 1851 Navy!

Did the 3rd model arrive before the cartridge models?
Yes.

The Colt cartridge model (SSA) was introduced 1873.

So far as I know, Colt did not produce any "obsolete" open top/ML revolvers from 1873 until the limited production "re-introduction" of the more popular 1851 Navy and 1860 Army in the late 1970's or early 1980's to compete with the reproductions made by other companies.

Uberti did not make the parts. Colt did.

Uberti only supplied the raw castings to the Colt company. Colt machined the raw castings into the finished parts and finished the assembly of the guns at Hartford, Connecticut, USA from 1971 thru 1978 for all of the "2nd Generation" Colt percussion revolvers.
From 1878 thru 1982, Colt subcontracted the machining to Lou Imperato and Iver Johnson Arms in Middlesex, NJ, USA.

Uberti did not make the parts. Colt did.

Uberti only supplied the raw castings to the Colt company. Colt machined the raw castings into the finished parts and finished the assembly of the guns at Hartford, Connecticut, USA from 1971 thru 1978 for all of the "2nd Generation" Colt percussion revolvers.
From 1878 thru 1982, Colt subcontracted the machining to Lou Imperato and Iver Johnson Arms in Middlesex, NJ, USA.

I bought the 2nd generation 1860 Army as soon as they came out. Years later, I bought the 3rd Model Dragoon.

If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought them. I had to do a lot of work to get them to shoot.

The Piettas and Ubertis are much better reproductions.

Now that I've done a lot of work on them, the 2nd generations shoot great but it was a lot of trouble getting there. It's my guess that the folks at Colt thought people were just going to buy those revolvers to look at and not shoot.

I bought the 2nd generation 1860 Army as soon as they came out. Years later, I bought the 3rd Model Dragoon.

If I had to do it over again, I would not have bought them. I had to do a lot of work to get them to shoot.

The Piettas and Ubertis are much better reproductions.

Now that I've done a lot of work on them, the 2nd generations shoot great but it was a lot of trouble getting there. It's my guess that the folks at Colt thought people were just going to buy those revolvers to look at and not shoot.
FWIW, I have a 2nd generation 3rd Model that is a joy to use. Everything works smoothly, the cylinder revolves perfectly with no rubbing. Maybe I got lucky or maybe you were unlucky, but I'd buy another 2nd gen. in a heartbeat.

Back