• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colt’s Dragoons!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A chopped off Walker. like shooting a stubnose. Then you see the huge guy that won a championship in Hungary on cap n ball channel and he looks like he's shooting a Wells Fargo. The picture of 3 above makes me wish it were possible to shoot all 3 of them together at the same time - ultra cool. In College, I would stuff my 1861 in a bag in the student lounge when I had 2 hours after a class and go out from there to the ponds just a quarter mile away and blast away till I ran out of time. Was a great stress relief.

Siblings:

Armi San Marco 1860 Army .44 Fluted Cylinder
Uberti 1848 Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon .44
Pietta 1851 Navy Second Model Belt Dragoon .36 (fantasy gun)
I got a armi san marco 44 dragoon mine has 3 sights on the rear 1 fixed and 1on each side of the fixed rear sight can you tell me anything about this r know someone who can please thanks

Since you did not supply a photo, I will assume your ASM has a 7.5" barrel with a 4-screw CFS (cut for stock) frame. The stationary middle sight leaf will shoot POA/POI at ~75 yards. The two folding leaves are for longer yardages.

This ASM cased set sold two months ago for about $800. Date code is XX9/1973

In 1974-75 ASM made a run of them with 18" barrels. Fairly rare, sold for about $700 about the same time.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Regards,

Jim

Since you did not supply a photo, I will assume your ASM has a 7.5" barrel with a 4-screw CFS (cut for stock) frame. The stationary middle sight leaf will shoot POA/POI at ~75 yards. The two folding leaves are for longer yardages.

This ASM cased set sold two months ago for about $800. Date code is XX9/1973

In 1974-75 ASM made a run of them with 18" barrels. Fairly rare, sold for about $700 about the same time.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Regards,

Jim
It does and thanks I paid 300 for the gun and it shoots great live it . You know some of my buddies say that they just got a 50 cal ml. ,why you want a 44 dragoon and a ml shotgun. They to hard to clean, I’m like man the stuff they have now makes it a breeze to clean, and I love ml bp . I’ve always had a 50 call and a dragoon 44 to have for back up cause I do a little black bear hunting, haven’t got one yet came close to the first time to hunt em. I’ve always went with someone to have for back up you never know what might happen. We just had a 2 day hunt then he had to go and I was in his ride. The second time we had a a four day hunt and my buddy had a heart attack so we had to come home I had no problem with that. It was my buddy he’ll I had to get him help he piped some nitro pills why I got everything loaded and the pop up got hooked up.Then we was on r way home . But this year I’m thinking about just me , my self and I is all I’m going .Then I can stay and get me one. Which it’ll suck by myself, cause this be my last year to hunt . I sure hope it’s not but they done got the left 1 below the knee so I can get around fine . No walker r cane , but I have a 2 toes on my right foot . 1 toe is infected and the one next to it has a sor on it too . I’m a diabetic, I’m worried hunting what keeps me going. It sucks , sorry for ranting on thanks. KB

A chopped off Walker. like shooting a stubnose. Then you see the huge guy that won a championship in Hungary on cap n ball channel and he looks like he's shooting a Wells Fargo. The picture of 3 above makes me wish it were possible to shoot all 3 of them together at the same time - ultra cool. In College, I would stuff my 1861 in a bag in the student lounge when I had 2 hours after a class and go out from there to the ponds just a quarter mile away and blast away till I ran out of time. Was a great stress relief.

If you were to do that today, they would roll a SWAT Team, you'd get kicked out of school and be arrested. Screaming girls and terrified guys would be in a total panic and they'd shut down school for at least 2 days so the kiddies could recover from the trauma of seeing a firearm.

I have a "Whitneyville transitional Dragoon". It had the oval cylinder stop cuts...which were nothing but trouble. I bought a later style cylinder and cylinder stop and fitted them to the gun and now it cycles and locks up just right... and I still haven't fired the dang thing!

The dragoon isn't really much different than the Walker. Just the cylinder stops, the loading rod, the different grip frame, the reduced cylinder charge capacity, and the mainspring. ... and it's still over four pounds! Pretty much, just as huge as a Walker. ;) I think until people actually get one in their hands, they don't appreciate the gravity of the situation!
Where did you get the extra cylinder? How did you learn how to fit it? I have a Whitneyville also and have not shot it yet.

I don't remember where the cylinder came from. I do remember that it was not super cheap. I am naturally gunsmithically inclined, so I was able to figure out what needed to be done.

Bought a Uberti Dragoon. Had similar issue with load lever drop. Easy fix. Added a spacer under latch spring to get the full tension of the spring. Never drops now.
Definitely some lighter than the Walker but still a chunk.

Thinking about picking up one of these big fellers:
42254-DB1-17-A2-421-C-B37-C-29-CB0-F85-E4-FD.jpg

A Colt’s Dragoon! Uberti makes a copy of it. Have been going back and forth with different models for my new cap n’ ball, and for years the big horseman’s pistol has been calling to me. I like it better than the Walker. It’s a more refined gun mechanically, isn’t obtusely huge, but is still mighty impressive. So what do y’all think? I figure I ain’t gettin’ no younger and why not! Should I get ‘eem??

-Smokey
I just talked to your gun shop and your wife; they both said go ahead and get it...

Where did you get the extra cylinder? How did you learn how to fit it? I have a Whitneyville also and have not shot it yet.

I will assume that your Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon is an Uberti. Both cylinder with rectangular stop slots and the bolt for it are available at VTI Gun Parts or Taylor's. They are for the Third Model Dragoon but will fit most likely with no modification. Any Uberti revolver manufactured post ~2000 was produced via CNC machining and will fit with no alteration.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=7&cat=Uberti+3rd+Model+Dragoon
The cylinder is $96 and the hand is a whopping $28.50.

https://taylorsfirearms.com/catalog/product/view/id/3367/s/1st-model-dragoon/category/297/
The cylinder is $99.25 and the Bolt is a slightly less whopping $19.50.

If you have not taken it down completely yet, be advised that the Uberti WH Dragoon has the historically correct V-type mainspring as opposed to the 2nd and 3rd Models with the arched mainspring. An easy identifier with the revolver fully assembled is the end of the pin that secured the V-spring just behind the rear of the trigger guard on the front strap. The cylinder swap is a piece of cake, but to change out the bolt will require you to disassemble the revolver almost entirely, and the mainspring can be very fussy upon re-installation. That is why Colt opted for the arched mainspring on the later 1st Mode, and all of the 2nd and 3rd Model revolvers, and subsequently on the 1848/1849 Pocket, 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, and1862 Pocket Navy/Pocket Police.

Mine, date code CU/2019. I don't shoot it very often, but my neighbor gets a real kick out of the smoke cloud when I do. It is one very heavy revolver:

This is the current Uberti WH Dragoon which has the bolt/trigger screw ends showing on the right side of the frame. That is not historical. The originals were based upon the Walker frame that did not have the screw holes protruding. Early Uberti CNC WH Dragoons were historically correct in this manner and very few were produced. If you have one of these they are worth a premium on the replica collector market, and I would suggest you do not modify it at all.

I bought mine from Midway USA last September for $360 on sale. Midway's normal price is $426, but every few months they put them on sale for $360, like today. They have 2 left in stock.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Regards,

Jim

Regards,

Jim

Dad brought home an 1861 Navy from an OGCA Show in Columbus back in 1968 & it was my job to disassemble, clean and reassemble it after trips to the range. I still have it today. The front blade sight shoot to point of aim, unlike an 1851 Navy with the barleycorn front bead that shoots about a foot high.
Replica Arms 1861 Colt Navy to post.jpg

I'd recommend the 1861 Navy or an 1860 Army to become familiar with cap & ball shooting before moving on to the bigger Dragoon. Eventually you'll own many more than just one.
1860 Colt Army.jpg

ROA vs Dragoon to post1.jpg

What a great post! Love the pics and I couldn’t agree more, the 1860 Army is user friendly for many reasons.
Dad brought home an 1861 Navy from an OGCA Show in Columbus back in 1968 & it was my job to disassemble, clean and reassemble it after trips to the range. I still have it today. The front blade sight shoot to point of aim, unlike an 1851 Navy with the barleycorn front bead that shoots about a foot high.
View attachment 36665
I'd recommend the 1861 Navy or an 1860 Army to become familiar with cap & ball shooting before moving on to the bigger Dragoon. Eventually you'll own many more than just one.
View attachment 36666
View attachment 36668

Boston Bill, am relatively new to the area, living on the N Shore, what shooting club do you belong to or where would you recommend for ml shooting?
Apologies for slightly derailing the thread.
I will assume that your Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon is an Uberti. Yes it is Sourdough. Thank you so much for the info!

Join and call the Gun Owners Action League ( GOAL ) and if they do not know they can put you in touch with the NRA rep that will know. I am on the Cape and shoot at Bass River Rod and Gun Club in Yarmouthport. Soory you came to Ma. The gun laws here suck. Where did you come from?

Back