Colostomy might cause problems

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

ML48

Banned
Reaction score
Keep in mind that people back in the day weren't exactly mindless, identically-programmed robots, any more than they are today. If you were a time traveler, you could probably stroll through any rendezvous, militia camp or just the middle of town, and see someone wearing something not deemed 'historically correct' today...
You are 1000% correct....clothing and accessories can go right in to another era without a hitch. Hell, what we wore back in the '60's is now fashion today.

1dogdown

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have Crohn's too and had to have a permanent ostomy done myself in 2005. I was a Civil War reenactor at the time and dealt with the pouching system by wearing vests and high-waisted, loose fitting trousers that sat above the ostomy site.

For FIW, I'm having my clothing made roughly in the same way---long waistcoats but with low-sitting French Fly breeches, and loose fitting regimental/civilian coats. I'm also having a waist-belt custom made that I can comfortably wear just over the ostomy site that won't pinch or obstruct the pouch. I can't carry a belly box but am also having a linen-slinged militia box made to carry my cartridges. It may not be 100% authentic for the 1750s but it's close enough and will work for my specific needs.

Not to be an advertisement for any specific medical supplier, but I have experimented with several different pouching system brands and found that the Convatec 2-piece Sur-Fit Natura closed pouch/flange system works best for living histories and reenactments because it is light weight, low profile, sits flush against my belly, and is completely non-obtrusive concerning my clothing and gear. I never notice it when I'm out in the field and it doesn't get in the way.

That's just my experience, but please know that you are NOT alone.
Timber sir,I appreciate you talking so openly. I feel I have gathered alot of support.
As for the system that is the same as what I wear.Thing is I always developed a hernia by the stoma.So I have a little extra buldge
Have a rendezvous comming up the end of the month.Will post a pic.
Thx for the input and support.
Gar.

RB POWELL

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I suffer from Crohns disease. Hence I wear a colostomy bag.Wearing a belt with jeans is no problem.Because the bag goes over the belt.
How ever if I was to wear a belt or sash in the proper position it will pinch the bag.
The only way for me to wear it without any interference. Would be to wear it across the center of my belly.
Should I do that and not care what others say?Or forgo wearing a belt?I already know I'm not PC with the colostomy lol
Do what's best for you. Anyone who doesn't accept that has more problems than you do. Good shooting, and God bless.

Timber Rattler

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Timber sir,I appreciate you talking so openly. I feel I have gathered alot of support.
As for the system that is the same as what I wear.Thing is I always developed a hernia by the stoma.So I have a little extra buldge
Have a rendezvous comming up the end of the month.Will post a pic.
Thx for the input and support.
Gar.
It's my pleasure, and I have that same bulge, with a lop-sided tummy, making me shaped like a Ben Franklin stove. But in 2005 when I had to have the surgery done--it was either that or the alternative was death. So it really was no choice.

For extra support during reenactments and special occasions, I also wear a special "girdle" that has a pouch for the pouch and pulls everything tight against my torso so that nothing hangs loose or gets in the way. It works very well.

This is me at Fort Frederick, Maryland on July 4th:

Jamie at Fort Frederick.jpg

And I like Convatec's compact system because its sealed turtleneck barrier does not leak even when you sweat, which will last an entire weekend. Probably too much info for the community at large here, but I try to help as many ostomates in the hobby as I can because there are more of us out there than you would think.

Have fun at the Rendezvous!

Sparkitoff

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Even if someone sees it, or you modify your apparel to work with it, I think someone that has the spirit and intent of historical correctness should be accommodated to whatever extent possible. You are not going back in time, you are re-living through acting. I applaud you for reaching out for opinions and sincerely hope you find a satisfactory solution.

APG

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm thinking that folks back in the era that your trying to dress as didn't all dress in the exact same way. They probably dressed more for function than fashion. Dress the way that works for you and what your comfortable with. Tell any one that questions it that this is the way your great-great-great Uncle Elmer used to dress. Or something to that effect.

Baggy270

32 Cal
Reaction score
It's my pleasure, and I have that same bulge, with a lop-sided tummy, making me shaped like a Ben Franklin stove. But in 2005 when I had to have the surgery done--it was either that or the alternative was death. So it really was no choice.

For extra support during reenactments and special occasions, I also wear a special "girdle" that has a pouch for the pouch and pulls everything tight against my torso so that nothing hangs loose or gets in the way. It works very well.

This is me at Fort Frederick, Maryland on July 4th:

View attachment 88827

And I like Convatec's compact system because its sealed turtleneck barrier does not leak even when you sweat, which will last an entire weekend. Probably too much info for the community at large here, but I try to help as many ostomates in the hobby as I can because there are more of us out there than you would think.

Have fun at the Rendezvous!
Damn you are one sharp dressed man!

Timber Rattler

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Damn you are one sharp dressed man!
Why thank you! The ugly truth is that most of it is loaner gear from the fort's arms and equipment room. The shirt, shoes, stockings, sash, sword and baldric are all mine, but the blue Maryland provincial jacket, white breeches, brown weskit, and officer's cocked hat belong to the state of Maryland. I'm having a couple of suits of clothing made, one military provincial and one civilian militia, which will hopefully be ready by Market Fair in April 2022.

Reactions: smo

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Alan Lewrie naval fiction by Lambert are just fun stories, and he tries to stay correct but they are novels so it’s a healthy grain of salt.
He has lots of humor in the stories.
In one of the novels the captain decides his wool uniform is too hot for the Car-a-bee, and has a cotton uniform made.
He looks fine macaroni and still can dress out when seeing the local admiral.
His skin and shirt turns a nice shade of blue and his fine coat goes from navy to baby blue as soon as the spray breaks over the railing
He is not impressed and had fine eighteenth century swear words for his uniform tailor

Latest posts