Quantcast

Coloring/ Dying traps

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you are just going to use it for display just stick it in water and let it rust up some. If it will be used as a trap boil it in water along with local plant branches, etc. A govt. trapper used to trap coyotes around sheep here in the Yuma area, he'd boil his traps with creosote bush in the water. It killed the oder of metal and man. He would get transferred to different areas and he'd boil his traps with local plant material.

KENT.REICHOW

32 Cal
Reaction score
how do you get the rust off the traps if they have been out side to long?
I had my traps stored in 2, 5 gallon buckets and they leaked so now all my traps are rusted up bad.

Ames

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
You should be able to go after the rust with a wire brush. That will lift the heavy flake. You may have to detail the parts that move with a dremel or emory paper.
If you are going to use them it may be best to stay away from chemical striping. (Stinks)

Reaction score
I always have used black walnut husks...submerge the traps and toss in as many husks as you can stuff in a tote. Set the bucket on or near the fire and let her set for a few days. The traps take on a black/grey finish. We seemed to need to redo it every fall to keep them colored.

fishleclair

36 Cl.
Reaction score
how do you get the rust off the traps if they have been out side to long?
I had my traps stored in 2, 5 gallon buckets and they leaked so now all my traps are rusted up bad.
Pressure washer, I have visited the self car wash bays close to my house and spent the $6 and used the sprayer there to blow off the heavy scale. Always wondered about applying the hot wax sealent at the end but I use allot of Conibears and I wont make that mistake twice!

Bassdog1

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
You can also use the vinegar water mix above to remove rust and then neutralize with baking soda water mix. After this is done use commercially available trap dye, walnut hulls or anything that produces a tanic solution to color the traps and slow down future oxidation. I dont have any boggy tanic creeks or ponds near me or I would try that also. After the trap is completely dry you can dip in trap wax for added protection. When waxing leave in wax until trap is thoroughly heated and allow excess to drip off. This is how I treat traps that I use. For display I use the method I described earlier. And fishleclair I also made the mistake of waxing a conibear when I was young and also wont ever do it again.

sawyer04

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I dye my traps with either walnut hulls or sumac blooms. The sumac makes an almost black color
Ditto here, late summer when we harvested fallen walnuts we run them through the old corn sheller. Used the walnut husk to boil the traps. Looking for the old recipe for the brew, but can't find it. I remember a little salt and beeswax was some of it. Put them on a fire in a big lard kettle and let them boil all day, let them cool in the kettle and remove them the next day. They had a dark hew about them and worked smoothly.

fishleclair

36 Cl.
Reaction score
You can also use the vinegar water mix above to remove rust and then neutralize with baking soda water mix. After this is done use commercially available trap dye, walnut hulls or anything that produces a tanic solution to color the traps and slow down future oxidation. I dont have any boggy tanic creeks or ponds near me or I would try that also. After the trap is completely dry you can dip in trap wax for added protection. When waxing leave in wax until trap is thoroughly heated and allow excess to drip off. This is how I treat traps that I use. For display I use the method I described earlier. And fishleclair I also made the mistake of waxing a conibear when I was young and also wont ever do it again.
Best method I found for waxing traps is using a big pot, fill with water bring water to a boil then turn heat down so its not boiling anymore then add wax and let melt and float at the top.
Take yer traps and add a wire to the end of the chains or anchor system and slowly dip them in and rest them on the bottom of the pot for a min or so. Slowly pull them back out through the wax that will float on the top of the water. Doing it this way u get a nice thin skim of wax on the trap and not a heavy build up. I've done batches of 6 #1.6 LS at a time this way. Also add a spacer in between the jaws so they get waxed too.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to do some badly needed trap maintenance. Some traps were badly rusted and dirty. I started by power washing them and that got them pretty clean. Then I needed to dye them but didn't have any dye. So I grabbed a bucket and headed over to the walnut tree and picked up a couple handfuls of walnuts, then I walked over to the woodpile and grabbed some cherry bark, lastly I threw in half a cup of powdered charcoal. I boiled this for a while in a copper bucket then strained and began boiling and dying traps. I finished up by throwing some wax in the dye. The traps turned out pretty good, a major improvement.

Reaction score
Seconds on the walnut hulls but it would make sense to use other natural elements from the area you are going to trap since those fur bearers in that area are familiar with those smells.

Bassdog1

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Dyed and waxed 3 dozen Coyote traps today using some type of ground up plant material sold by Rennos lures. When I wax I have a 3 gallon kettle full of wax that I add a little to each year and dip traps for a few minutes to heat up then pull out and allow excess to drip off. Lots of coyote complaints from neighbors so about time to get after it.

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Boil it in willow bark, then dip it in melted paraffin wax. It'll be dark but won't rust with the wax coat.
This is for a working trap, but the looks will be right rather than a rusty trap.

Best,
Richard.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Dyed and waxed 3 dozen Coyote traps today using some type of ground up plant material sold by Rennos lures.
Logwood dye is what I always used for years, did an excellent job. 20 years ago I tried to dye traps with walnut hulls but was not impressed. ten years later i tried drying hulls and using them and that was worse. This time it did a good job, maybe it was the extra ingredients or the fact that many of the walnuts were still green.
BTW, orange Gojo with pumice takes walnut stain right off your hands.

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I knew a government trapper that would come here yearly to trap coyotes for the sheep growers. He was meticulas about odor on the traps. Lotsa creosote bushes around here and he'd boil his traps in water with the bushes in with them. Worked for him. He used his traps a lot all year and didn't really have a rust problem so I can't honestly comment on that. He was very successful trapping coyotes.

Latest posts