• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colorado shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just moved to theLeadville , Buena Vista area. Are there any traditional muzzleloader shooters in this area?

There’s bound to be a few guys around but I’m not familiar with any clubs or organizations in that area. I’m a little over an hour away from you. Where did you move there from?

One of our occasional visitors here @MtnMan lives in the Buena Vista area. Maybe he will see this or you could PM him.

I'm in arvada so not much help here.

I'm in Denver and have lived here 30 years, but haven't shot since the last Rocky Mountain College Rendezvous. Wish I knew where to go.

I am another Colorado shooter out in Golden, CO.
It's about 2 hours to Buena vista from my house and 1.5 hours to Fair Play.
I'm always happy to take a guest to the Ft. Luption Muzzleloaders range.
Ron

I was reading yesterday about the current laws regarding BP hunting in Colorado, and it seems that actual, traditional rifles are outlawed. How can we use a .50 cal Flintlock if the law requires a Conical Bullet? Is there a safe and effective way to use an un-patched conical in a .50, 1-in-66 Kentucky, for instance?

Perhaps we could use a tight-fitting conical and a wad, maybe wasp nest? Thanks in advance for advice on this.

Whether a conical bullet will work in a gun depends on the rifling in the barrel. It doesn't have anything to do with the lock.
If the rifling grooves are shallow and the twist rate is at least 1:48 or faster, conical bullets work fine.
IMO, if the rifling grooves are .007 or less deep, a conical bullet made out of pure lead will work. If the grooves are deeper than that, the gun should be shot with patched roundballs.

That said, most of the custom flintlocks and some of the factory made flintlocks do have barrels that were designed to be used with patched roundballs.

The barrels on the TC sidelocks use rather shallow rifling grooves about .005 deep and these were chosen by TC so the guns could shoot the conical bullets they made. The grooves are also deep enough to work with a patched ball if the ball/patch combination is tight.

This bullet from Hornady seems to be intended for compliance with the Colorado laws:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002235363?pid=730932
I will need to check on the groove & lands diameter of the Traditions .50 cal Kentucky, but this with a .512" would certainly not allow a patch. And at 240 grs it is the heavy weight that seems to be the intent of the Colorado requirement. It says this bullet is made for the really slow 1 in 66 twist rate.

I like Hornady projectiles for modern arms that I reload for.

Some have said that the .512" DIA PA bullets are quite difficult to push down into the bore, in some rifles. Perhaps using a Lee Cast Bullet Sizing Die would help, and these are offered in .501" and .510" diameters. Likely varies a lot between the several brands.

Would a less-tight fit affect accuracy? Does not getting the bullet exactly right against the powder every time, 'cuz it's so difficult to ram, also affect accuracy?

I was reading yesterday about the current laws regarding BP hunting in Colorado, and it seems that actual, traditional rifles are outlawed. How can we use a .50 cal Flintlock if the law requires a Conical Bullet?

Depends on what you are hunting.

You can use a .50 caliber round ball to hunt deer, pronghorn, or bear. Minimum weight for the projectile is 170 grains.

You must use a .54 caliber with a round ball that weighs at least 210 grains to hunt elk or moose or a .50 caliber conical with the same minimum weight.

If you are hunting elk, the Hornady Pennsylvania Conical would be worth trying in your rifle. That's the only way to answer your questions.

I would expect the conical to be reasonably easing to load in a clean bore if the muzzle has a good crown or even a slight coned muzzle. A followup shot with a fouled bore might be harder to load, though. In the field, you could carry a speed loader with a traditional patched round ball for the followup shot. If you meet a game warden, just be sure to carry some of the Hornaday Conicals in your pouch or pocket to pull out and show him/her if they ask to see what you are shooting.

Latest posts

Back