• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colorado Rondys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BigAl52 came over today. He wanted to see my Kibler SMR kit and he wanted to look at parts quality. Together we pinned the barrel, fitted triggers…I worked on lightening the lock a bit. We didn’t really get a lot done on the kit, there was just too much to talk about.

It was such a great morning and early afternoon, I really needed a day like this. I was amazed at how much we shared in common. My wife had lunch ready for us around noon. Finished messing with the Kibler…spent the rest of the time talking and sharing stories.

I did have one condition before he came over…

A5AA51A8-B91E-44C5-A2C8-34B553EE8615.jpeg

He had to bring over his John Bergmann Plains Rifle. @BigAl52 did one better…he brought over the Plains Rifle…and a Bergmann .40 calibre 1/2 stock. My Early Plains Rifle is at the bottom.

@BigAl52 you are a stellar individual. Thank you for your company, and a fine afternoon. Definitely a day well spent.

Last edited:
Rock
Thanks for the invite and the kind words. I really enjoyed the time spent with you and the visit with both you and your wife. Her lunch was top shelf and I enjoyed the food. Looking forward to sharing some time together at the range

Personally, I thought the contrast was a bit much…after lunch everything was dry. I rubbed the stock down with course steel wool…and then applied a Red Mahogany stain.

664177CF-29BD-4CC0-ACC5-99079EC2CE92.jpeg

I took the stock outside and photographed it under direct sunlight…The Red Mahogany stain darkened the blond portions of the curl, and did away with the significant contrast in the striping.

7D546AD0-367A-4837-937C-B84D6697C5F7.jpeg

I like the looks of this…still nice contrast in the striping of the curly maple; but not an overwhelming Zebra like contrast

43764C1D-E5A7-44CE-9AE9-35B7D999BE6B.jpeg

If anyone is planning to buy powder, primers, etc at the State Shoot, through the club contact; it is being asked that you pick up your purchases today (Friday August 12th). Our powder contact, just had a Grand Baby….and he’s anxious to get back home.

2D3B27B6-D39A-45D4-9632-009408F767E2.jpeg

I was looking over the finish on my barrel…this barrel has a 1:48 rate of twist. I should be able to shoot conicals with this gun, farely accurately…I’m stoked.

I got 5 coats of MinWax Antique Finish rubbed into the stock yesterday…final coat went on at 5:30 last night.

This morning, around 9:30 I started with my final finish of TrueOil rubbed into the stock. Rubbed in 4 coats, it’s warm outside, so things are clipping along. The 4th coat was completely dry at 12:15…so I went over the gun with very fine steel wool. My stock is drying from its final coat.

If the final coat finishes glass smooth, I’ll pin it together tomorrow morning….following @Hatchet-Jack ‘s advice.

DDA0A9D1-C65B-4353-A075-06B335653DD3.jpeg

For finishing the barrel, I called Kibler directly. I told them I wanted an antique grey finish on the barrel of my gun. They recommended Jax Black.

After @BigAl52 left the other day, I took a length of soft wire and hung the barrel from the ceiling of the garage, and put cardboard down. I then took a soft rag soaked in alcohol and wiped down the barrel thoroughly, twice. I even cleaned the wire that I used to hang the barrel.

Put on some rubber gloves when applying the bluing solution. I put a small amount of Jax Black into a small glass bowl and dobbed it onto the barrel making sure that I had an even finish on all sides. Then I took a green scotchbrite pad and very evenly started burnishing off the finish, still wet with bluing solution, until I had the degree of grey finish that I wanted; and taking a paper towel and wiping the barrel clean as I finished sections.

E76AFB9B-CED9-4317-AE7C-7686151648DA.jpeg

Final step was to wipe down the barrel 3 times with BreakFree CLP; and again the next day.

View attachment 155485
For finishing the barrel, I called Kibler directly. I told them I wanted an antique grey finish on the barrel of my gun. They recommended Jax Black.

After @BigAl52 left the other day, I took a length of soft wire and hung the barrel from the ceiling of the garage, and put cardboard down. I then took a soft rag soaked in alcohol and wiped down the barrel thoroughly, twice. I even cleaned the wire that I used to hang the barrel.

Put on some rubber gloves when applying the bluing solution. I put a small amount of Jax Black into a small glass bowl and dobbed it onto the barrel making sure that I had an even finish on all sides. Then I took a green scotchbrite pad and very evenly started burnishing off the finish, still wet with bluing solution, until I had the degree of grey finish that I wanted; and taking a paper towel and wiping the barrel clean as I finished sections.

E76AFB9B-CED9-4317-AE7C-7686151648DA.jpeg

Final step was to wipe down the barrel 3 times with BreakFree CLP; and again the next day.

That looks amazing. In fact, I'm thinking about doing the same with my French Dragoon that I'm building.

Back