• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colorado Rondys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
92233A70-C458-4599-A5B3-7A0627E5B395.jpeg

So there is the image of the crown on my barrel. Ray did a great job, I don’t really need a short starter anymore to start a ball.

And what’s even more important, that gun now shoots lights out at 100 yrds. Very pleased.

I saw Ray last evening, we did some brazing on a field rod, so I can remove Dry Balls without damaging and knocking the handle off my rod. I also left my .40 calibre Southern Poor Boy for him to look at…brand new from TVM. Shoots pretty good…but gosh, it should shoot better.

Dry Balling is embarrassing to admit too, I just don’t get it. I Dry Balled maybe twice or three times as a kid…then went 40 years and no problem.

I get Covid last year…and now every other time out to the range, I Dry Ball at least once. I don’t get it, it’s frustrating…I just don’t understand what’s going on.

So there is the image of the crown on my barrel. Ray did a great job, I don’t really need a short starter anymore to start a ball.

And what’s even more important, that gun now shoots lights out at 100 yrds. Very pleased.

I saw Ray last evening, we did some brazing on a field rod, so I can remove Dry Balls without damaging and knocking the handle off my rod. I also left my .40 calibre Southern Poor Boy for him to look at…brand new from TVM. Shoots pretty good…but gosh, it should shoot better.

Dry Balling is embarrassing to admit too, I just don’t get it. I Dry Balled maybe twice or three times as a kid…then went 40 years and no problem.

I get Covid last year…and now every other time out to the range, I Dry Ball at least once. I don’t get it, it’s frustrating…I just don’t understand what’s going on.
Covid has left some strange aftereffects. I was very coordinated and stable... not anymore. Either Covid or old age :rolleyes: Dale

Yeah, I thought as as well. You can really see the rifling. But it made a great difference in the performance of the rifle. So I'm very happy with it

I wanted to go shooting at the range this weekend, but its looking like rain, sleet, & snow in the for caste for this weekend...I love spring, great time to go shooting, but the weather just doesn't want to cooperate at times.

Yeah, I thought as as well. You can really see the rifling. But it made a great difference in the performance of the rifle. So I'm very happy with it

I wanted to go shooting at the range this weekend, but its looking like rain, sleet, & snow in the for caste for this weekend...I love spring, great time to go shooting, but the weather just doesn't want to cooperate at times.
I was fly fishing on the Cache La Poudre river [think West of Fort Collins] many years ago, in mid-June, and it snowed on me. But I love Colorado. Dale

Took the grandkids to the range last Sunday. Had a great time. My eldest grnadson got to shoot his .32 calibre Flintlock for the first time.
0D5B69FE-3D20-4F9D-8191-90963C5C1C0A.jpeg

The little rifle shot very well at 25yrds
28DAD747-1761-4A93-BE39-37C61952F54B.jpeg

If the weather holds, I’ll be out there again on Sunday, working on my .40 calibre...Though there is supposed to be a storm rolling in Monday. I'll be watching the weather.

Last edited:
It looks like it’s going to be a beautiful day today.

Headed to the Ft Lupton range this morning…shooting my little .40 calibre Natchez by TVM. I always mean to take pictures…maybe today I’ll remember and actually do it.

Hope to see you there…

I had a great time shooting today. Beautiful clear blue skies…no wind, perfect day for hitting the range.

1AC61ECF-7A6D-4983-9453-F50CE3BA5A25.jpeg

My dad had parts to build a muzzleloader, that he bought back in the mid 70’s when I was just a kid. I finally was able to convince him to just talk with Ray, and have Ray build the gun.

The above image is my dad, and a target of his first 3 shots with his new…OMG beautiful muzzleloader.

0F3E7688-391B-4484-B36A-88DD40F37F3C.jpeg

Here’s a close up of the target…how many times in your life do you take a brand new, never been shot muzzleloader….and shoot such a perfect group? I told him to go buy a lottery ticket, he’s in the zone.

Ray was out shooting today with us as well. It’s always good to see Ray, he’s a stellar individual.

Ray was very pleased with how the gun performed…he did a wonderful job

In a couple days, I should have some Jax Black that I ordered from Kibler’s…I’m going to do a nice antique grey finish on the barrel of my .54 calibre Dixie Mountain Rifle, that Ray rebarreled to 36”.

Thing is…It’s been this long since I had a .54…

B2CB4003-A301-4560-873D-ACE418B76226.jpeg

It’s takes a good while for lead to develop that much oxide.

15C36D20-9DAE-4AFD-8D83-83312CF1F2F6.jpeg

So tonight I’m fixing that problem

Are you going to check out the Heritage Fair on May 7th? Its a time line event from Viking thru WWII. Its quite a fun event to wander around at.

Are you going to check out the Heritage Fair on May 7th? Its a time line event from Viking thru WWII. Its quite a fun event to wander around at.
Tell me about it…I’d interested in going, just need to know where and when.

I have a couple rendezvous that I want to attend this summer. There’s a 1838 Rendezvous up along the confluence of theWind River and Popo Aggie in Wyoming. And a couple others…

Back