• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife are IDIOTS!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s just awful! It’s happening all over the southeast as well. I’ve been hoarding lead like a miser. I’m sure they’ve got a plan to ban it. You always think it can’t happen where you live until you wake up one day and it’s there. By then the virus has spread too deep.

Well, the CO population is swollen with immigrants from CA. They came, they saw, they conquered!
You are totally correct! It has nothing to do with conservation, it has to do with "MO MONEY"!! In order to get a bear tag not only in muzzleloading and archery season, it is any season including rifle seasons! There are a few areas where you can get a strictly OTC bear tag, usually in areas where the bear population is null and void. There is also a draw in some areas. It is totally messed up and I'm being kind with the language.

CPW NEW RULE THIS YEAR FOR ARCHERY & MUZZLELOADER SEASONS: NO DEER OR ELK TAG = NO BEAR TAG!! YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DEER OR ELK TAG IN ORDER TO ADD ON BEAR TAG!! BEAR TAGS ARE ADD ON ONLY!!! THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, WE HAVE IDIOTS RUNNING PARKS & WILDLIFE!
Well, I have a deer tag for GMU 69, 84. However, for the first year now, you can't hunt bear in those units. That area is loaded with bear!! Also new to get bear tags as an add on, there has to be overlapping units! F'd Up with Parks & Wildlife.

Not to mention the change a few years back where you need to buy a small game license in order to get a big game license. So, to hunt bear only one must buy a small game license, draw elk or deer and then get a bear license.....mo money.
You nailed it on the MB. All nothing more than BS for the hunters.

State studies have shown , black bears kill half of all the deer fawns per year , that are born. In Pa. , we are over run with bears due to intentionally poor management of hunting seasons , and baiting is not allowed. If the bear season could coincide with the deer season , more bear harvest would naturally happen. The Game managers have found a way to reduce the deer herd , w/o hunting. Think that's the real reason for the excess bear population.

This makes as much sense as having to buy a small game license to even enter the draw. I quit hunting Colorado for all there stupid laws. I read all the time about wildlife issues in certain states. Elk in Wyoming are destroying ranches. Hogs are messing with Texas. Yet ya cant hunt unless your ready to fork over about 5K to get on the land to hunt the animal causing the issues. I somehow cant find much sympathy for there problems with the game.

This makes as much sense as having to buy a small game license to even enter the draw. I quit hunting Colorado for all there stupid laws. I read all the time about wildlife issues in certain states. Elk in Wyoming are destroying ranches. Hogs are messing with Texas. Yet ya cant hunt unless your ready to fork over about 5K to get on the land to hunt the animal causing the issues. I somehow cant find much sympathy for there problems with the game.
That problem isn't just in the states. We have farmers who refuse hunter access on their property going to the media complaining they can't get government funding for deer proof fences because deer are destroying their crops and competing with stock.

In this state , what is starting to happen , will be the future of animal management. Calls for help to remove problem bears , go unanswered , stocking predators , large and small , under the guise of making the wildlife in the state , the same as it was in earlier days.
The result of this plan is , where the predators aren't wanted by the public , they are shot , and wasted. Some years ago , plans that hunters were being excluded , as the way of reducing game animal populations , was in evidence , when the game managers stated that , hunters were only a "TOOL" of the environmentalists plans. The future of animal population management is , anti-hunter. Some years ago , one of our governors signed on to a United Nations "Going Greener" treaty , managed , from Austria. How many other states signed on to foreign "Going Greener " treaties as did this state? In order to follow the United Nation's plan , the state had to begin extermination of the deer population. The rest is history. Most of the small game species are in chaos , due to the introduction of coyote's , pine martins , too many bears , mountain lions , bobcats , and last , but not least , flocks of Federally protected predator birds.
The public knows little , nor cares about , the mess the "Conservationists" , have caused. I have few years to care , but folks should know what has happened. ...........luck to ya.

Farmers here are shooting deer at night out of their $85,000 pickups in the name of a few more beans. Think that I just might cut back on expenses, makes no sense to me.

I love Idaho - I really do. I lived there for 30 years and should have probably never left. But I did - and now, just to put in for a draw tag, I have to buy an out of state license. I am the "deer dragger" for my hunting partner, and between the two of us we draw about half the time. But I have to spend a couple hundred bucks just to get in the drawing. Oh well - I still love Idaho!

CPW NEW RULE THIS YEAR FOR ARCHERY & MUZZLELOADER SEASONS: NO DEER OR ELK TAG = NO BEAR TAG!! YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DEER OR ELK TAG IN ORDER TO ADD ON BEAR TAG!! BEAR TAGS ARE ADD ON ONLY!!! THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, WE HAVE IDIOTS RUNNING PARKS & WILDLIFE!
While I'll agree that the laws, especially bear, are complex in Colorado, Mustang 65 your statement is not really the truth. Muzzleloader and archery bear tags are only available as draw licenses (same as deer and elk), and have been that way for many years. So you can actually hunt only bear with a muzzleloader (or archery or rifle), without a deer or elk license, you just need to apply for them in the draw in April (see pages 63 & 64 in the 2022 big game brochure). However, CPW is attempting to make it easier to get a bear tag in some units and in those units you can purchase an over-the-counter (OTC) bear license (muzzleloader, archery or rifle) but only if you have a deer or elk that overlaps by unit and method of take (page 66 in the 2022 big game brochure). It's true...it does complicate things, but it's meant to increase opportunity for some areas and keeps the crowding issue down for other units. I hope this helps...

While I'll agree that the laws, especially bear, are complex in Colorado, Mustang 65 your statement is not really the truth. Muzzleloader and archery bear tags are only available as draw licenses (same as deer and elk), and have been that way for many years. So you can actually hunt only bear with a muzzleloader (or archery or rifle), without a deer or elk license, you just need to apply for them in the draw in April (see pages 63 & 64 in the 2022 big game brochure). However, CPW is attempting to make it easier to get a bear tag in some units and in those units you can purchase an over-the-counter (OTC) bear license (muzzleloader, archery or rifle) but only if you have a deer or elk that overlaps by unit and method of take (page 66 in the 2022 big game brochure). It's true...it does complicate things, but it's meant to increase opportunity for some areas and keeps the crowding issue down for other units. I hope this helps...
Just reading this makes my head spin.

I haven't been hunting since I was a kid with my dad. It just seems so complicated and expensive I wouldn't know where to start. I don't have access to any private land so I'd have to go hunt on public land and I worry about the yahoos out there plus how would you get the darn deer out of the woods? I've entertained the idea of hunting over the years but it seems like it's a rich man's game. If you live in the country somewhere you are good to go but otherwise it sounds like a big hassle.

I have suspected for some time now that the U.S. Fish & Wildlife and State Conservation or Game Departments are filling the ranks with anti-hunting and even anti-firearm types. Maybe not intentionally, it is just what they are being taught. There are also a fair number of environmental activists getting jobs within these agencies.

Firearms and hunting are bad, and it is all about climate change, equity, and inclusiveness. As our ranks thin and or age, they are seeking needed revenue through other means.

Back