• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colorado North/West deer herd

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you are hunting this year for deer around Maybell Colorado. IMHO . you are in trouble. There was a hard spring kill this year. As I understand Division of Wildlife knew things were bad, but had decided that the damage would be "moderate" and did not do emergency feeding. Then one more weather system hit in late spring and "moderate" went out the window! During my Antelope hunt I walked miles in dry creek beds that should have held doe deer. . we saw 3. The next day at dawn we drove stopping and spotting through Bitter Brush and never saw deer one until we got to the big ranches around wolf mountain.

Last year that same drive, I would have expected to see 100+ deer :(

Wildlife seems to admit that in hind sight they should have feed, and that the deer were hit HARD.
If you have been saving points for these units expect less tags for the north west units & if you spend those points it won't be the unit you remember from 2 or 3 years ago. :( If you are going this year :( try hard to come a day early so you can see for yourself. We looked through our "honey holes" in 3/301 as well and counted about a dozen does. Remember this is before any deer Rife season The same drive last year during 2nd rifle produced half a dozen bucks and 60+ doe

Back