• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Color Case Hardened Throwing Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44-henry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Maybe this was a bad idea, but I had a friend who wanted a unique throwing knife and since he has always had a fondness for color case hardening I figured why not give it a try. I used 3/16" mild steel plate and the knife measures about one foot long with simple leather handles held in place by 8-32 screws. The blade has a simple convex grind with a rather blunt edge for safety, though it sticks plenty well. I used the bone and charcoal color case hardening process that I have posted about in the past.

Though certainly not ideal for most knife applications, the case hardening seems to work well for this purpose leaving a hard exterior and a soft interior that should allow it to withstand the forces put on this type of knife. It has been thrown plenty since it was built with no ill effects noted. The pictures aren't the best, but I took it with my camera phone. There is oil on the blade that also probably didn't help the photography.

randallbowie.jpg

randallbowie2.jpg

I wanted to address some of the problems with the first knife so I built one that was a bit heavier. This one is about 14 inches long, 3/8 inch thick, and weighs just one ounce shy of 2 pounds. Excuse the handles, I didn't have any slotted screws and those will change soon.

RandallandJohnsonBowie2.jpg

RandallandJohnsonBowie1.jpg

RandallandJohnsonBowie3.jpg

Back