• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colonial marksmen, via the 'London Paper', circa 1775

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just the sea voyage to the Colonies could be lethal , Death stood at the shoulder of all on board . The Officers would have made their last will and testament's before leaving , especially as almost all Officers were the gentleman sons of wealthy families , they had to be, to be able to buy their commissions .
The English called it the American Rebellion , the Americans called it the Revolution , since the Americans won I call it the American Revolution .
I would mention that the bulk of British officers were middle class from comfortably off families rather than wealthy ones. The purchase of a commission being a very substantial investment in their future career and a burden to their families. Commissioning from the ranks was uncommon, but not unknown, pre war and the demand for competent officers as it progressed made that less uncommon. Now promotion partly depended upon influence and buying out the investment of an officer leaving the service but normal losses in action etc. in war made commissioning both from the ranks and from lower in the social classes a necessity. It would be an error to assume a model of aristocratic officers and common soldiers prevailed at all times and places. That model is not without sound foundation but is far from a complete picture. Junior officers could commonly be sons of middle class professionals, prominent farmers and trade. There were simply not enough young male and willing aristocratic men to meet wartime needs. Bankruptcies were far from unknown to even the highest families and, whilst society was stratified, there was a constant game of snakes and ladders. My own family reputedly descended from the yeomanry the to peasantry on the 14th century.

The same applied to the RAF pilots of the Battle of Britain who are portrayed in films as upper class but were more likely to have been the son of a dentist than a titled father.

At the time of the American War one of my father’s village young landless agricultural labourers ran away from poverty to enlist in the army as a private in an infantry regiment. He came back 15 years later as a Captain commanding a company and went on to spend 10 further years as a Major in the local Militia. Things were not as rigid as is popularly imagined.

At the time of the American War one of my father’s village young landless agricultural labourers ran away from poverty to enlist in the army as a private in an infantry regiment. He came back 15 years later as a Captain commanding a company and went on to spend 10 further years as a Major in the local Militia. Things were not as rigid as is popularly imagined.
William Augustus Bowles, was from Frederick Maryland, and was somehow able to secure a commission as an ensign in a provincial battalion, The Maryland Loyalist Battalion. How he did so is unclear, as even in his own writings he departed his family without permission, making his way to Philadelphia on his own, as a teenager of between 13 and 14 years of age, although his physical stature made him appear several years older.

There are some hints that he may have encountered an opportunity to secure valuables abandoned by Americans fleeing the British Forces, and other hints that he had perhaps resorted to highway robbery, prior to his arrival in Philadelphia, thus putting enough funds in his pocket to allow him to secure the commission, for he surely did not do so with favors from his family's position or family acquaintances.

LD

William Augustus Bowles, was from Frederick Maryland, and was somehow able to secure a commission as an ensign in a provincial battalion, The Maryland Loyalist Battalion. How he did so is unclear, as even in his own writings he departed his family without permission, making his way to Philadelphia on his own, as a teenager of between 13 and 14 years of age, although his physical stature made him appear several years older.

There are some hints that he may have encountered an opportunity to secure valuables abandoned by Americans fleeing the British Forces, and other hints that he had perhaps resorted to highway robbery, prior to his arrival in Philadelphia, thus putting enough funds in his pocket to allow him to secure the commission, for he surely did not do so with favors from his family's position or family acquaintances.

LD
My understanding of the rank of Ensign is.....a naval commission (??).

Ensign, where used, is the lowest rank of commissioned officer. Still used in the US (and other navies), used in the US Army until 1815 when replaced by rank of 2nd Lt

It wasn't the taxes, per se. It was the arbitrary manner in which they were levied. The Colonists were increasingly beeing treated as a revenue source for England. Coupled with the lack of hard cash in circulation, it made those taxes both politically unpopular and a financial burden.

As for Americans having few valid reasons to separate, it wasn't just over those taxes. Things escalated quickly. Local representative governments were dissolved. Judges and governors were appointed and funded by the king and parliament, calling into question their bias and loyalties. The stationing of troops to enforce royal decrees was alarming, and their use in attempts to disarm colonists "for their own safety" clearly demonstrated to the colonists they were considered subjects of the Crown.

We disagreed.
I am aware of the other issues you mention. There were many bad policies enacted by the British government that had been fanning the flames for years.
Britain piddled away most of their North American empire through mis-management and ineptitude.
Does tyrany EVER change ?
Same now.

Buzz

British officers were encouraged to make out a last will and testimony before shipping out for the colonies. They knew they would be targeted.
Same thing when I was in Army in the '60's, whether or not going overseas; had to have a beneficiary for your 10 (or was it 15?) thousand dollar life insurance; you could die in training, transit, accidents, etc.

Thanks for the clarification Coot, as an old Bluewater sailor I wasn't aware the rank of ensign was also used in the army "back when".
Yeah, it causes a lot of confusion over Bowles. There is a "Billy Bowlegs" character, that may have been a Native Leader in the 19th century, or may simply be a legend. Well because somebody saw Bowles was an "ensign", they then claimed that William Bowles = Billy Bowles = Billy Bowlegs..., the pirate. There is even a town in Florida that has a festival for Billy Bowlegs, and thinks Bowles is the actual guy.
🙄

Bowles was not above claiming anything that could enhance his clout with Britain, but in the official family history of the Bowles family, nor in Bowles own memoir, does he ever claim any sea victories, nor claims to have been a naval officer. 😉

LD

The link in Reply #12, Riflemen 1775, tells it all, at least it does for me. I quote: "To make sure that the message was loud and clear Washington ordered a spectacular demonstration of the abilities of his riflemen. ... Washington had his men fire at a seven inch diameter pole from 200 yards. The riflemen riddled the pole. ... Some companies, at quick march, hit seven inch targets at 200 yards. By the middle of August there were 1400 riflemen facing the British in Boston."

Same thing when I was in Army in the '60's, whether or not going overseas; had to have a beneficiary for your 10 (or was it 15?) thousand dollar life insurance; you could die in training, transit, accidents, etc.
Only 10K# im afraid that would not buy the farm even in 1941 new houses houdes in central Ca. were going for 3K$. Not much farm for that kanda dough.
WW I era though would have been a far different story.
Crikey when I was active service , mid 50s the amount was still only 10K$
Blitz

Back