• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colloidal graphite wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used any colloidal graphite wads in their muzzleloaders.

I have some in ribbon form that I use in B P cartridges but have never tried them with my muzzleloaders. The information on the package says creates a non-slipping, graphite lubricating, gas sealing wad. They do work in my 43 Spanish, 43 Mauser & 45-70 loads.

I had a box that my father gave me years ago & used them up.
I just picked up two of the original boxes off ebay.

They were used in the early days of wildcat cartridges to act as a gas check & prevent leading. They work well for blackpowder cartridges increasing velocity and improving accuracy.
I can't find any current manufactures for them and was hoping someone might have information on a supplier or formula for making them.

The wads I have are marked IPCO (trade mark) Wakefield Mass.
Seems I remember reading about someone having the formula but can't remember where.

OK, that's a better description.

I guess I got the idea of solution when I read that folks wanting graphite in wads use Lock Ease, and the available Colloidal Silver that folks use.

I stand corrected, Thank you, :wink:

Latest posts

Back