• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Collecting C&B revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day I was talking to a buddy who I was convincing to try muzzleloaders- flintlock rifles, caplock rifles and C&B revolvers. I told him I had a few which I would bring with me for him to try out. As I was putting together a shooting range afternoon of my favorite reproduction C&B choices I took a picture of those I planned on bringing for the day. And then it struck me- how and when did I acquire a bench full of percussion revolvers !? I mean I knew I had a small assortment but didn't realize until the photo how many of them bred while I wasn't looking! Is it the same for you ? Please post your fave C&B revolvers here, would enjoy seeing what you guys have collected and hearing how you came by them.

Here's my current C&B line-up, from left to right;
- '76 Colt 2nd Gen 1851 Navy .36
- '93 Uberti 1858 Remington .44
- early 90's Uberti 1847 Walker .44
- '63 Replica Arms 1860 Army .44
- early 70's ASM (defarbed) 3rd Model Dragoon .44
- early 70's Rigarmi 1858 Remington NM Navy .36
- mid 70's Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army .44

rtyqc2Rh.jpg

Last edited:
See this is what I mean! There’s something about C&B revolvers that’s, I don’t know...habit forming!
Seriously though I’ll take a stab at why; the period between 1847 and the 1870’s was the hayday of American made revolvers. There were literally dozens of models and almost as many US makers. Add the new frontier and several wars to the mix and you have a kind of revolver Golden Age.
And add to that they're ( pre-Covid) easy to come by and and for the most part budget friendly.
What do you think?

Last edited:
I wish I had that many BP guns that I lose track of what I have! ;) Very impressive lineup! There is some very nice wood there, which always catches my eye. If you don't mind a critique, many of us would like to know what the date codes are on your Italian revolvers. There are some of us who like to discern production variations by date, especially concerning the pre-CNC Uberti and Pietta revolvers, and the early Italians like ASM, ASP, RiGArmi, Replica Arms (which was an importer in both the El Paso Texas and Marietta Ohio phases), et al.

You want photos? I am afflicted with "parts-changer-syndrome". I use Pietta 1851 Navy .36 revolvers as donors for what I choose to create, primarily Confederate revolvers, using off-the-shelf Pietta parts from VTI and Taylor's, as well as modified Pietta cylinders for others.

Augusta Machine Works with a 12-stop-slot cylinder. A few years ago I procured two older Pietta smooth/plain/non engraved cylinders with no safety pins @$25 each and had my next-door neighbor machinist mill an extra six safety slots with approaches for $50 per cylinder. Pietta never marketed it.

Rigdon & Ansley 12-stop-slot (the other cylinder). Pietta never marketed it.

Leech & Rigdon. Pietta never marketed it.

Pietta 1851 Navy .36 2nd Model Dragoon Belt Pistol, fantasy gun. Pietta never marketed it.

My prize: Pietta 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .36. It is SN C00013, one of only 35 ever produced with the Angleton Texas barrel stamp. Pietta produced these consigned by Tony Gajewski as a one year run in 1996. There is a large story about these guns which I won't delve into here.

With the current pandemic in Italy, Uberti and Pietta are not producing any revolvers, and until the Italian lockdown is lifted, there is a severe drought concerning any new revolvers being produced. That said, used or new stock revolvers are very scarce.

Looking forward to better days.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,
That is an impressive collection of open tops! I really like the Pietta 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .36, would love to hear that story if you ever feel like sharing it!
Nice looking wood, do you re-finish your grips ? I generally remove the Italian lacquer in favor of a nice oil finish.

I wish I had that many BP guns that I lose track of what I have! ;) Very impressive lineup! There is some very nice wood there, which always catches my eye. If you don't mind a critique, many of us would like to know what the date codes are on your Italian revolvers. There are some of us who like to discern production variations by date, especially concerning the pre-CNC Uberti and Pietta revolvers, and the early Italians like ASM, ASP, RiGArmi, Replica Arms (which was an importer in both the El Paso Texas and Marietta Ohio phases), et al.

You want photos? I am afflicted with "parts-changer-syndrome". I use Pietta 1851 Navy .36 revolvers as donors for what I choose to create, primarily Confederate revolvers, using off-the-shelf Pietta parts from VTI and Taylor's, as well as modified Pietta cylinders for others.

Augusta Machine Works with a 12-stop-slot cylinder. A few years ago I procured two older Pietta smooth/plain/non engraved cylinders with no safety pins @$25 each and had my next-door neighbor machinist mill an extra six safety slots with approaches for $50 per cylinder. Pietta never marketed it.

Rigdon & Ansley 12-stop-slot (the other cylinder). Pietta never marketed it.

Leech & Rigdon. Pietta never marketed it.

Pietta 1851 Navy .36 2nd Model Dragoon Belt Pistol, fantasy gun. Pietta never marketed it.

My prize: Pietta 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .36. It is SN C00013, one of only 35 ever produced with the Angleton Texas barrel stamp. Pietta produced these consigned by Tony Gajewski as a one year run in 1996. There is a large story about these guns which I won't delve into here.

With the current pandemic in Italy, Uberti and Pietta are not producing any revolvers, and until the Italian lockdown is lifted, there is a severe drought concerning any new revolvers being produced. That said, used or new stock revolvers are very scarce.

Looking forward to better days.

Regards,

Jim

20200927_201434.jpg
Grant commemorative, 1971 C series Colt 1851 Navy.
20200802_230725.jpg
1847 H. Aston, US model 1842. Above is a Whitneyville Dragoon replica
20200816_133001.jpg
Remarkable condition for its age. Shoots well too!
20200203_154431.jpg
3rd model Dragoon Whitneyville, Texas Ranger commemorative. Not a big fan of commemoratives but this one is just awesome!
20200203_154415.jpg
Grip inlay with Texas Ranger motto: Free as the breeze, swift as a mustang, tough as a cactus.

Nice looking Dragoon- do you/ would you shoot it ? I think I spy a P17 in one those there pictures.:) Well done Sir, well done.

View attachment 49542
Grant commemorative, 1971 C series Colt 1851 Navy.
View attachment 49544
1847 H. Aston, US model 1842. Below is a Whitneyville Dragoon replica
View attachment 49545
Remarkable condition for its age. Shoots well too!
View attachment 49546
3rd model Dragoon Whitneyville, Texas Ranger commemorative. Not a big fan of commemoratives but this one is just awesome!
View attachment 49548
Grip inlay with presentation from Sam Colt to Col McCullough Texas Rangers

Trying to post from phone was a mess. Cleaned up now. Yes, I shoot everything. If i'm unwilling to shoot it, I won't own it. I think that was my 1943 enfield in the one picture I accidentally included.

Jim,
That is an impressive collection of open tops! I really like the Pietta 1862 J.H. Dance and Brothers .36, would love to hear that story if you ever feel like sharing it!
Nice looking wood, do you re-finish your grips ? I generally remove the Italian lacquer in favor of a nice oil finish.

I use a coat of BC Tru-Oil, let it harden for a few days, scrub down the finish imperfections with #0000 steel wool, and then buff it out with a used scrap piece of denim.

I wrote up a thread on another forum early this year concerning my research about both the Pietta (1996) and Uberti (1985) Dance revolvers. Lots of eye candy, also. :)

Enjoy!

Jim

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,560.0.html

I was going to respond to the OP but got embarrassed when I noticed how the promiscuous critters had behaved when I wasn't looking. After the 4 ROAs (all bargains I lucked into), the Rogers and Spencer, and a variety of 36 and 44 caliber guns (Rems and Colts) that were gifts, used bargains, or sale priced to good to ignore, I realized I might have a problem. That was confirmed when I found an unopened Pietta Remington 1858, still in the grease, that I had completely forgotten about. SIGH!

I do pick up used C&B Colt and Remington repros that are serviceable to use as gifts to get younger folks started in BP shooting. I've given away several that way.

Jeff

The other day I was talking to a buddy who I was convincing to try muzzleloaders- flintlock rifles, caplock rifles and C&B revolvers. I told him I had a few which I would bring with me for him to try out. As I was putting together a shooting range afternoon of my favorite reproduction C&B choices I took a picture of those I planned on bringing for the day. And then it struck me- how and when did I acquire a bench full of percussion revolvers !? I mean I knew I had a small assortment but didn't realize until the photo how many of them bred while I wasn't looking! Is it the same for you ? Please post your fave C&B revolvers here, would enjoy seeing what you guys have collected and hearing how you came by them.

Here's my current C&B line-up, from left to right;
- '76 Colt 2nd Gen 1851 Navy .36
- '93 Uberti 1858 Remington .44
- early 90's Uberti 1847 Walker .44
- '63 Replica Arms 1860 Army .44
- early 70's ASM (defarbed) 3rd Model Dragoon .44
- early 70's Rigarmi 1858 Remington NM Navy .36
- mid 70's Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army .44

rtyqc2Rh.jpg
the family is looking great :thumb:

There is satisfaction in the illusion of "possession" of things. C & B Revolvers are
desirable as collector's items, compact items of value, as extenders of power and
as tools of defense. "Any gun is better than no gun" logic. The backdrop of all
this collecting is a group of fanatical control freaks that insist all guns must be
confiscated and taken away from owners. Some thoughts. with a bunch of neat
Blackpowder revolvers, you will have plenty to give to loved ones when your time
comes. Write a note as to who gets what if something should take you without
warning. Also consider trading some for other BP guns that are offered here-
or for part of the payment. Or let go cheap on the forum to spread Christmas cheer
for your forum pals!

You guys are a bad influence. I've been watching an original Remington 1858, reasonably priced due to modern replacement nipples, minimal remaining finish, and one or two parts with mis-matched serial numbers, but with a good bore and action. Might just have to move on that now...

Notchy Bob
Pay, grab, go. Dale

You know, there may be something to what you fellows are saying. My 1860 Army has hardly come close to wearing out it welcome and already I am coveting an 1851 Navy!!!!!! Heaven help me, HaH!
Never held an 1851, is the grip frame smaller than the 1860, looks smaller in pictures, anyone know?
Robby

Back