• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Colerain special turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was hesitant to post this thread here as there are likely several boards where it could be posted, but since it's a smoothbore and since these barrels have previously been discussed here, I'll post here. The point of this post is to recognize some really tremendous customer service on the part of the Colerain Barrel Company.

A little background. I purchased this barrel as part of a TVM kit (TN Valley Manufacturing, for what it's worth, not the other). I built and have used it for a while, even having killed two spring gobblers with the fowler. Both of those turkeys were killed within 25 yards as that was my self-imposed limit with this gun, it's never shot a very dense pattern. Now, for perspective, I've followed all of the threads on this board about this specific barrel and even about turkey loads for other barrels. I've done a good bit of shooting and experimenting and I've never been able to duplicate the patterns that people describe on this board.

For some time I just accepted it and put up with it, but it became unbearable to continue reading threads and posts where guys describe this barrel as being the equal of modern turkey guns with X-full chokes. Mine is more an improved cylinder or modified choke, even at moderate ranges. In frustration I sent an email to Colerain to ask if they had any ideas or tips for me.

Scott Keller, one of the owners, called me very quickly to discuss the issue. He spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me and discussed everything that he knows based on his customers who are happy with the barrel. I took notes on a pad and followed up by shooting many, many loads at a patterning target, varying the components one by one to rule out one issue or another.

Still being unimpressed and disappointed with the outcome, I sent an email to Scott describing my progress or lack thereof. He once again called and spent another 15 or 20 minutes with me describing loads, loading procedures and almost everything else that either of us could think of (gas seals, wads, cards, sight alignment, etc.).

The bottom line is that I'm now able to shoot an acceptable pattern for turkeys out to 25 or 30 yards, but my pattern isn't even remotely close to what others are reporting at similar ranges with similar loads. To Colerain's great credit, they've agreed to replace the barrel because they want me to be happy. What's more, Scott mentioned that they'd bore out the choke on the old barrel and allow me to keep it for shooting roundball.

I've gone back and forth for several days because I didn't really want to do the work of replacing the old barrel with new. Furthermore, I wanted to be convinced that I wasn't expecting too much and that I had done my due diligence on the firing range to be sure that it was in fact something with the barrel and not something I was doing wrong.

I'm pretty well convinced that I've exhausted all of my options and that this barrel simply will not shoot as I've been led to believe that it should and I think I'm going to take Colerain up on their kind offer, but I wanted to post something here on the board to point out an instance of a manufacturer absolutely going above and beyond what would be required to make a customer happy. And, for what it's worth, I've used Colerain barrels in a few of my rifles and will continue to do so, I've always been quite pleased with their accuracy and overall quality (though admittedly they aren't finished quite as nicely as some).

I would say you are correct that there is a problem with the barrel. I have hunted turkeys quite a bit with this barrel, and it has shot excellent groups with most any load I've tried. When I got it the recommendation from Colerain was 95 gr. 2Fg, 3 overshot cards of .07", 1 1/2 oz. #6 shot, overshot card. I started with that and got very good patterns, but I was using 3Fg in my smoothies at that time, so I tried the same basic load but using an equivalent load of 80 grains of 3Fg, got these patterns:

I have also loaded other ways and had consistently good patterns or results.

80 gr. 3Fg, 2 hard cards of 1/8" with a dollop of lube between, 1 1/2 oz. #6, overshot card

80 gr. 3Fg, 1 hard card of 1/8", 1 lubricated cushion wad of 1/2", 1 1/2 oz. #6, overshot card

95 gr. 2Fg, tow, 1 1/2 oz. # 7 1/2, tow

95 gr. 2Fg, shredded cedar bark, 1 3/8 oz. #6, cedar bark.

I've killed turkeys out to 40 yards with the barrel, and one unlucky gray squirrel at 50 yards.

Spence

What range are those three targets from Spence? You're correct, NONE of my targets look like that and I've worked hard at getting something that will kill birds. Given all that I've read on this forum, I'm convinced that I'm "doing it right" and that there's an issue. I'm also just thrilled at how quickly Colerain jumped in, not only to offer advice and tips but also to belly up and offer to replace the barrel after I did my due diligence on the range. I'm VERY excited to try again with the next barrel.

OK, never mind, I see your text on the side of the targets. And yes, your targets are considerably better than mine. Your 35 yard target looks like what I'd expect at 25 yards and I've never duplicated your 25 or 30 yard targets after many, many dozens of shots with multiple loads and components. Thanks for the info.

GangGreen, because the barrel is so strongly choked it can be difficult to make certain the wad components are lined up correctly for sealing the bore once they have passed through the choke. If they are not, you could get serious blowby which would destroy the patterns big time. For instance, when i load the first wads, the 1/8" overpowder wads, I have to bend them pretty sharply over the ramrod to allow them to pass, then give them a series of short tap-tap-taps to straighten them up so they are at 90 degrees to the wall of the bore. I also orient them so that the bend is upward, so that those taps not only orient them square with the bore but flatten out the bend so the wad is straight across again. I put the second one down the same way, but rotated 90° left or right so the bends from a cross. All this is to make certain I have a good, tight wad and a good seal. It sounds complicated and fussy, but once you catch on to it it goes smoothly and quickly. I also find little difficulty loading one overpowder wad as above and then a soft, well lubricated paper cushion wad instead of two card wads.

Those three 0.070" overpowder wads Colerain recommended back then were probably a solution to this same problem, being more flexible because they are thinner.

One of the reasons I worked up loads for tow and cedar bark is that they eliminate the need for all that puttering, just ram and you are done. if you ever try that, make certain there is about 1" of wad overpowder after being well rammed.

Spence

I do precisely as you suggested with the cardboard overpowder wads. I bend and ease them in with the bend facing up and I place the second one at a 90 degree angle to the first, just as you've suggested. My best load has been with 2 overpowder cards and a full Ox-yoke lubed wad over them, but I've experimented with a bunch of different components and recipes. Thanks for your thoughts.

Talk about a customer service testimony! A guy couldn't ask for more.

I always marvel at the pics Spence posts of his guns patterns. :thumbsup:

Such a gun could sure talk a grey squirrel out of an Indiana hickory. :hmm:

Maybe one day I will verify that.

Good luck whatever you decide GangGreen. Sounds like you've put plenty of effort into your loads. Maybe a lemon of a barrel somehow. :idunno:

Best regards, Skychief

Thanks Skychief. I cleaned the fowler up after a long range session on Saturday and will use it for spring gobbler in PA this season. Scott said that he'll let me know when they manufacture a run of the barrel and I can send it to him at that time. In the meantime he's been kind enough to allow me to use it, though I'll have to be cognizant and conscientious about the range at which I'll shoot at a bird.

It's not a huge obstacle. Just let em take a few extra strides your way. :thumbsup: Actually adds to the excitement in some of our opinions. :wink:

Good luck and go get em, Skychief

Yeah, I get a bigger thrill from taking a turkey with my cylinder bore smoothie than with the Colerain, because I have to lure them in so close. Nothing is as exciting for me in all of hunting as having a big gobbler in my lap, hissing and popping.

Spence

George said:
Yeah, I get a bigger thrill from taking a turkey with my cylinder bore smoothie than with the Colerain, because I have to lure them in so close. Nothing is as exciting for me in all of hunting as having a big gobbler in my lap, hissing and popping.

Spence

YES, YES, YES!!!!! :metoo: :thumbsup:

For what it's worth guys, I've killed dozens and dozens of spring gobblers over the years, most with modern shotguns, but a few with flintlocks and one with a bow. I consider myself a good hunter and don't mind waiting, imposing maximum limits on myself that are stricter than what my weapon requires. What's concerned me in this case is the fact that I've had a hard time getting a decent pattern with the gun after many, many range sessions and following many recipes from guys with the same barrel who have been very happy with it. Furthermore, even at fairly close range (say 25 yards or so), I surely don't want to risk wounding a turkey. Yeah, it's fun to get them close, but it's heartbreaking to injure a bird because of an equipment failure (operator error is bad enough).

George said:

Spence

That's why mine collects dust.!..Good Times!

Back