• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cold weather patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was out today on a late season muzzle loader hunt and i shot off yesterdays load at a fence post cuz i was worried about condensation. i missed.
so i reloaded from my T/C speed loader and the T/C prelube patch was frozen solid. i had an H of a time getting the ball/patch down so i figure the patch was frozen in the barrel too and didn't lube the fouling. i also think the ball went out ahead of the patch ... ergo a miss.
at the end of the day i shot off the reload and it too was a miss.
so what does everyone do for a cold weather patch lube.
it was only about -14 degrees ... -20 at most.
thx
I use cold weather windshield wash year around. Ingredients are all compatible with black powder fouling in cold or hot weather. Water, liquid soap and alcohol. You only want the patch damp not soaking wet. I pull them pre-cut and soaking in the wash from a plastic bottle, squeeze them out and load.

I look back at what they had in the past. It seems like tallow was used mostly and from what I am told mink is preferred these days. From what I have found is if I get it down the barrel it will be more accurate coming out than me. But I’m like others. I want be out in that weather

You guys realize as intersting as this thread is/was its nearly 15 years old? ;)

Hadn't noticed that. :oops: Oh, well. I'll just add that I am not a fan of commercial lubes, Crisco, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in patch lubes at any temperature. Many of the popular lube concoctions are good places to start. e.g. castor oil, jojoba oil, bees wax, mink oil etc. They don't evaporate, they lube well and, for most, give good accuracy. I would not worry at all about loading and using any of them at any temp.

up here at between -15 C to -25 C, Dutch`s dry system is what you want, especially hunting. swab with straight alcohol or -40 rated windshield wash between shots.if target shooting, make sure you have a wind break as well, wind chill can make things uncomfortable.

Latest posts

Back