Cold weather clothing pre 1830

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Jfoster, Jun 14, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 14, 2019 #1

Jfoster

Jfoster

Jfoster

36 Cal.

From my understanding the capote was common post 1800, but what was the go to cold weather attire for someone on the frontier in the 1770-1800? Ive seen it displayed as simply a wool blanket draped over ones self formed into a hood, and ive seen blanket coats/capotes being used and described as PC/HC.

2. Jun 14, 2019 #2

DaveC

DaveC

DaveC

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Capes, robes, blankets, furs, wool ponchos, earlier types of coats.

For my 1830s Texian, I just took apart my blanket bindle from the tumpline and harness straps, pulled it over my head, pinned it at the front where my top button on my shirt is at, rolled the hood down around my neck, then overlapped the blanket itself in front of me, and tied it at the waist with the tump line. Then my leather belt, tomahawk, knife, cartridge box, etc. goes over and held it all in place quite nicely. Pulled some parts up through the belt so I could walk OK. It is open across the entire front from the top of the chest to the waist so the arms can move. If it gets real cold, just pull the portions above the belt closed with your arms across the chest after you pull the hood up.

Jfoster likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2019 #3

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Capotes were common in the north country and were ever there was much of a French influence. An English colonist or American federalists may not have had one. However seen on the frontier might have been adopted by any one pressing in to the frontier.
    Great coats were well known. Match coats,ie: wrapped in a blanket were well known. Boat cloaks were well attested to, although more associated with upper financial classes.
    Panchos were probably not seen outside of Spanish America although some one traveling the Santa Fe Trail or a Texican might have got one, but that’s still nineteenth century.
    Eighteenth century clothing was pretty heavy. A man may wear wool breaches and stockings, leggings or woolen trousers pulled on over, wool shirt, wool waistcoat (I say weskit but that triggers some), and wool coat with some sort of warm hat style with a scarf, muffets (half fingered or fingerless gloves and mittens, all on before needing an over coat.

4. Jun 15, 2019 #4

davidmc62

davidmc62

davidmc62

40 Cal.

I;m with DaveC, if you dont have a good period coat you can always make do with a good wool blanket, blanket pin and belt.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 15, 2019 #5

Jfoster

Jfoster

Jfoster

36 Cal.

Thanks folks. Im wondering what the chances were that a American may have seen a frenchman in a capote post AWI and adopted that. Possibly won over dice or some such oddity. I know its best to stick with proven and well known/cited things for HC/PC, but still.

6. Jun 15, 2019 #6

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

Cruzatte

50 Cal.

Dressing in layers was crucial then as is now. 29467934_1579253248779342_6288521901681672192_n.jpg
    In the photo, I have on beneath my wool sleeved waistcoat a short sleeveless wool vest. Leggings are wool, and I'm wearing a pair of knit wool stockings beneath. Don't forget your feet! I have on a pair of wool slippers with triple soles. A double French toque, fingerless mitts, and a silk scarf finish out the outfit. The photograph was taken in March, and it was pretty chilly.

7. Jun 15, 2019 #7

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

A good representation of a winter coat is the Watch Cloak offered by Jas. Townsend.

https://www.townsends.us/products/mens-watch-cloak-mc-162

This is worn over the regular wool coat.

For military use there would be one cloak issued per tent (for 6 men) and the private on guard duty wore the cloak.

I made a woman's version for my daughter and she has confirmed that it is very warm.

hamanky and Jfoster like this.