• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cold steel pipe hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajgall

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was inspired by some of the cold steel transformations I had seen so here is mine. I cut down the handle to my taste, stripped the paint, blued and scrubbed it back, used it as a test piece for a batch of stain I’m playing with and added two brass end caps.

Attachments

• BFFEA64B-FF8A-408C-B69F-D0DBF0931923.jpeg
    BFFEA64B-FF8A-408C-B69F-D0DBF0931923.jpeg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 4
I was inspired by some of the cold steel transformations I had seen so here is mine. I cut down the handle to my taste, stripped the paint, blued and scrubbed it back, used it as a test piece for a batch of stain I’m playing with and added two brass end caps.
where did you aquire the pipe hawk head?

where did you aquire the pipe hawk head?
I believe Amazon I was given it by someone else. Cold steel is a pretty common brand at several retailers they come hafted and are decent quality but need a bit of work to look good. This is how they look out of the box:

Attachments

• 75663B3F-4CB8-476D-B07E-DD409025ADB1.jpeg
    75663B3F-4CB8-476D-B07E-DD409025ADB1.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Please tell us how you "made" the end caps?

Did you just steel wool back their finish or remove it completely then did a bluing yourself and cut that back with abrasive? If you did the bluing what did you use to get the color?
I love the head finish - looks great!!!

I used wire brushes & files to remove Cold Steel's horrendous applied finish coat on the head, then cold blued it to my druthers.

I also exchanged the CS setscrew on the side of the handle hole with a longer machine screw, that I epoxied in place after cutting the replacement screw flush with the head.

I also cut the issue handle length down a few inches, then stripped/stained & adorned it.

e2u9Jtwl.jpg
aEQMuP8l.jpg

https://www.coldsteel.com/axes-tomahawks/
I'm curious to know if these are fileable. I'm looking at their "Pipe-hawk" and welding up the screw is no problem but to what degree are they hardened. Are they file friendly? I see a shape in there, but will require considerable file work to get there. Anyone have experience with these?
Robby

Latest posts

Back