• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cold Steel hawk modification project.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had the Cold Steel spike hawk and trail hawk for a few years, but I never liked the black coating on the heads, and the fit and finish on the handles was never too good out of the box. So I used the birchwood casey bluing kit to blue the heads, then shortened the handles to a more useful length, finished them with some stain, then coated them in true oil to increase durability. Here are the results:

Before:
trail hawk stock.jpg
stock spike hawk.jpeg

After:
trail hawk stock.jpg
stock spike hawk.jpeg
image_123923953 (4).JPG
image_123923953 (5).JPG
image_123923953.JPG
image_123923953 (2).JPG

Anybody else done hawk modifications?

Scroll down the list of subjects in this column. You will find a post about modifying a CRT tomahawk by Shiloh 1944. He has done some very nice work. :thumb:

I'm working on a couple of Canadian Blackhawks right now one is almost finished the other isn't started yet. These hawks are fair throwers but ugly as sin. I have ground and polished most of the casting marks heat treated, tempered and browned the heads. Removing the cast marks also makes the head a little lighter and improves the balance as least for me. After tempering they hold a much better edge, they're not overly pretty but it's a working, throwing hawk.

Attachments

• IMGP0670.JPG
    IMGP0670.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP0671.JPG
    IMGP0671.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 59
I'm working on a couple of Canadian Blackhawks right now one is almost finished the other isn't started yet. These hawks are fair throwers but ugly as sin. I have ground and polished most of the casting marks heat treated, tempered and browned the heads. Removing the cast marks also makes the head a little lighter and improves the balance as least for me. After tempering they hold a much better edge, they're not overly pretty but it's a working, throwing hawk.
How did you put the spiral design into your tomahawk handle? I've been trying to put that same spiral design into my ramrod, but I can't quite get it. I've tried burning the design in then staining it, but that tends to smudge the burn.

I've used a normal plumbers torch but they're kinda' big and clumsy so I bought a small kitchen torch that is much handier. The knack to getting the color right just takes a little practice. If you burn to lightly the stripes will fade quickly, burn to deep and the wood becomes grooved and you can feel it in your hand. I don't stain ram rods or hawk handles after burning just use a piece of fine steel wool coated with whatever finish you prefer and rub lightly, the carbon in the burn will stain the wood and give it a aged look.

Attachments

• IMGP0673.JPG
    IMGP0673.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP0672.JPG
    IMGP0672.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 57
Back