• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coffee or Tea?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had coffee that tastes as good as it smells, but only a couple times in my life.
Coffee tastes best outdoors on a crisp fall morning with a wisp of wood smoke in the air.

I’ve said about the same thing about a nation wide coffee house. That no one likes their coffee but does like their coffee flavored milkshakes.
I do buy a lot of green grams and roast myself.... I drink 99% of my coffee black, I do like it. So much so I limit myself to a pot on work days two pots on days off.

I do buy a lot of green grams and roast myself.... I drink 99% of my coffee black, I do like it. So much so I limit myself to a pot on work days two pots on days off.
I'm not that much of a coffee drinker but I roast my own and grind fresh. This tastes better to me than anything I can buy.

I think thats the beauty of us bad spellers or fat thumbs or spellchecks, most everyone out there can understand what you meant.(most of the time)

I've been experimenting with differant brands of coffee. So far I've only found one that I really dislike. Theres a store brand out there called " Nice"and believe me it is not. Yuk, it dont even taste like coffee.I think it's something they sweep off of a coffee factory's floor , dirt and all. But it might at least have some caffeine in it though ???

I've been experimenting with differant brands of coffee. So far I've only found one that I really dislike. Theres a store brand out there called " Nice"and believe me it is not. Yuk, it dont even taste like coffee.I think it's something they sweep off of a coffee factory's floor , dirt and all. But it might at least have some caffeine in it though ???

Find a local coffee roaster, and buy a pound of green beans, I recommend Costa Rican, but whatever. grab a cast iron skillet and roast them over a portable butane burner outside. start on medium heat. Stir constantly. you want an even roast if they look like they are tuning black but you still have green beans turn down the heat and stir faster. when roasting the beans will shed their skin first then begin to pop and crack then darken and begin to crack again and turn shiny. When they turn shiny like oily, I quickly remove them and spread out on an aluminum baking sheet to dissipate the heat as quickly as possible stopping the roasting. I continue to blow off the chaff from the skins.
After two days, I grind a medium grind and steep in about 190 degree water. (do not boil the coffee).
Makes a nice delicious cup. The beans will taste good for about a month then they start tasting like store bought coffee.

Roast in small batches.
The beans increase in volume when roasted.
The nice thing about roasting your own is that you can control the level of roast and the final flavor. You can easily make 3 or 4 different coffees from the same green beans.
Green beans will last for years or decades but once roasted you have a month tops.

Do it outside to ‘preserve domestic tranquillity’ I thought it would smell of roasted coffee rich and pure.
Not so much, it smells of burnt popcorn.
I have one of those camp braziers. And a small frying pan. I can cook it up outside have good coffee and not suffer the smell in the house for a week.

Ditch your expensive and delicate teas and go the British 'builder's tea' route. Strong coarse tea with milk and sugar. All problems you could meet in life can be solved, or at east ameliorated, by hot strong tea. Add rum for 'gunfire'. Not the Earl Grey rubbish. You want the tea that Earl Grey's workmen drank. To be drunk in a large pot mug not a porcelain tea cup. 'What! Your leg has been shot off! Quel domage, have a mug of tea and you will feel better.'

Yes the British have a very "odd" sense of humor in very dire times...., they are apt to do just that as bullets are bouncing off the sides of the tank, and if outside of the vehicle, an NCO who had his mug of tea hit by a stray German 8mm round could be easily imagined to remark, "OH that's just bloody rude!"

LD

Back