• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coffee grounds instead of cornmeal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks like grits with honey, some with butter. I like grits with a lotta butter. Hominy about the same. Some mix the stuff up with eggs, but I like them separate.
Try them with cheese and chopped jalapeño peppers, or with smoked peppers and a bit bacon.
Even Yankees I made it for, who never liked grits, ate it up and asked for more.
However if you use it as a filler the cheese makes a mess.

Someone on here years ago during the Grit Wars mentioned frying grits after you cooked them.
This i tried and it takes a while but it's really good. Kinda like fried rice.

As a boy in the impoverished south you could go to the store and hominy was sold in burlap sacks. I think the small sack was 10 lbs.
The WWI veteran dad took in ate grits and salt pork every morning, hoe cakes for lunch with Brear Rabbit syrup. He had a million stories, was 29 before he saw a car. I wish I'd paid more attention.

never tried the fried rice but we do fry colby cheesy grits all the time. we take the left over and spray the bottom of a tupperware type container with a shot of pam and spread out the grits out evenly. lid it up and let set in the fridge for about 2 days and they set up real good. pop them out and sprinkle some Tony Chachere's creole seasoning and cut into 1x3 inch pieces roll in corn starch and put into the fry dady.

Back