• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coffee grounds instead of cornmeal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I realized this morning that ever since I started working from home, I've been been generating a lot of coffee grounds. My better half uses them in the garden, but I was wondering if they would make a suitable stand-in for cornmeal in the chambers of cap and ball revolvers? It's mostly just a matter of curiosity born out of the fact that I don't like throwing anything out if it can be repurposed.
Anyone have any thoughts/experience? Thank you for your time.
Cheers,
dgfd

They are wet and will take a long time to dry out. They will grow mold. They smell real bad while drying or at least the can we dump them in every day so we can add them to the compost does. Might be just as well to let your wife use them and just buy corn meal or Cream of Wheat. Both are cheap and last forever.

The worms in your garden will grow big and strong from the coffee grounds and eggshells you add to the compost pile. The big and wiggley worms will catch big fish which will make you and your family very happy -- and then the cycle will repeat --- :ghostly: ;):thumb:😁

They are wet and will take a long time to dry out. They will grow mold. They smell real bad while drying or at least the can we dump them in every day so we can add them to the compost does. Might be just as well to let your wife use them and just buy corn meal or Cream of Wheat. Both are cheap and last forever.

I should have specified- they're dried out already. Never noticed the smell when they're laying in a cookie tray in the sun, fortunately.

To my budget corn meal (went for some a few days ago and $5.00 a box!) and cream of wheat (OMG) is not inexpensive. Used to have a farmers market that sold meal bulk but bye bye per the kung-flu.

I say try the coffee! If its works let us know, I would certainly be open to it!

Hi folks,
I realized this morning that ever since I started working from home, I've been been generating a lot of coffee grounds. My better half uses them in the garden, but I was wondering if they would make a suitable stand-in for cornmeal in the chambers of cap and ball revolvers? It's mostly just a matter of curiosity born out of the fact that I don't like throwing anything out if it can be repurposed.
Anyone have any thoughts/experience? Thank you for your time.
Cheers,
dgfd

Get for what you need first, what you want comes second. Therefore, I repurpose every thing I can. I make what I need out of something I repurpose and the money I save I use to buy what I want..........funny how that works.

CoW is $3.48/28 oz. & corn meal is $5/10 lbs., WM prices. Filler is like 4f, a box lasts forever. I'm frugal to the point of being called cheap but I don't have any interest in going to much trouble (maybe I'm lazy too :)) with those prices for 72 grains of C0W per cylinder.

Get for what you need first, what you want comes second. Therefore, I repurpose every thing I can. I make what I need out of something I repurpose and the money I save I use to buy what I want..........funny how that works.

Well said, sir! That's it in a nutshell.

Ok could someone please explain where the benefit is in putting a filler in your cylinder,yes I have tried it and guess what no difference if the ball sits 1/8 inch from the top of the cylinder or if it’s sitting flush with the cylinder the ball hits where I’m aiming so with that being said is this just one of those things that people fall for because someone snake oil salesman said they need it.i figure if this was a viable adition to powder,wad,ball the big retailers would be pushing there super secret special cylinder additive on there web sites. Just askin

Try some of the coffee grounds and let us know if you smell the brew.;)
On a somewhat related note, are you familiar with what the Confederates resorted to when making their gunpowder later on in the war, by any chance?
See page 178 of attached article.

Attachments

• CreatingSouthernThunder.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Ok could someone please explain where the benefit is in putting a filler in your cylinder,yes I have tried it and guess what no difference if the ball sits 1/8 inch from the top of the cylinder or if it’s sitting flush with the cylinder the ball hits where I’m aiming so with that being said is this just one of those things that people fall for because someone snake oil salesman said they need it.i figure if this was a viable adition to powder,wad,ball the big retailers would be pushing there super secret special cylinder additive on there web sites. Just askin

If you have $700 of work in your Remington and are shooting in the top 15% of your organization at 25 & 50 yards it works. If you are shooting cans at 20 yards with an out of the box revolver it probably won't help. The top (actually most) shooters in the N-SSA use filler or wads to bring the ball to the mouth of the chamber. I probably shouldn't have mentioned grains per cylinder since it's leading us astray. :)

Back