• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Coehorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the whole thing weigh? Does it take down for transport?
I estimate the tube and bed total 150# and the cart about the same. It doesn't really "take down" other than the mortar and cart being separable. 001.JPG

We had a Coehorn during the Bicentennial built on an Oak base that (coincidentally) was the right bore size to accept a beer can filled with cement. No wheels. I like yours,
Tramp.

Thanks, Tanglefoot. I recall a tale of a cannon using concrete filled cans for projectiles; apparently enough of a void existed in the concrete in one to allow it to expand Minie-style and travel an alarming distance. That sounds like my kind of fun.

Yepper! As I understand it,the base of the can is left slightly concave,and that allows enough expansion of the rim to hug the smooth bore. The powder chamber of the cohorn was machined in the breech end of the bore.

I built my bowling ball mortar on a steel sled which works really well for recoil retardation.The swivel base is bolted to 5/8s thick steel plate backed by two, 3 x 16 inch thick glue lam deck fitted cross ways on the steel sled box. I welded four heavy steel loop handles , two to the side of the steel box so four men can lift it into the pick up box. I'd guess total weight is 200-250 lbs.
I made mine with a 27 inch tube and the ignition is a musket cap and nipple directed into a steel powder chamber threaded into the neck of the tube from the inside. It is lanyard fired so I can get away from standing next to it.
The barrel and base sled come apart if necessary with a 1 x 9 inch hardened tool steel base pin. I bent the first one left non- hardened. Range is estimated between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile based on the occasional ball retrieval.
Flight time at about 20 degrees from vertical is about 17 seconds and the ball just about goes out of sight before the turn back to earth. The finger holes in the ball whistle all the way up and back. Pretty cool and I never get tired of watching the balls fly or the look on folks faces that are watching. The main trouble is finding a safe place long enough to shoot it and being mindful of any air craft in the area.

I built my bowling ball mortar on a steel sled which works really well for recoil retardation.The swivel base is bolted to 5/8s thick steel plate backed by two, 3 x 16 inch thick glue lam deck fitted cross ways on the steel sled box. I welded four heavy steel loop handles , two to the side of the steel box so four men can lift it into the pick up box. I'd guess total weight is 200-250 lbs.
I made mine with a 27 inch tube and the ignition is a musket cap and nipple directed into a steel powder chamber threaded into the neck of the tube from the inside. It is lanyard fired so I can get away from standing next to it.
The barrel and base sled come apart if necessary with a 1 x 9 inch hardened tool steel base pin. I bent the first one left non- hardened. Range is estimated between a 1/4 and 1/2 mile based on the occasional ball retrieval.
Flight time at about 20 degrees from vertical is about 17 seconds and the ball just about goes out of sight before the turn back to earth. The finger holes in the ball whistle all the way up and back. Pretty cool and I never get tired of watching the balls fly or the look on folks faces that are watching. The main trouble is finding a safe place long enough to shoot it and being mindful of any air craft in the area.

Would love to see pix of this.

Thanks, Tanglefoot. I recall a tale of a cannon using concrete filled cans for projectiles; apparently enough of a void existed in the concrete in one to allow it to expand Minie-style and travel an alarming distance. That sounds like my kind of fun.
Guess that would be dependant of what's out there when you reach the "alarming distance". Is it alarming because of what is out there that you may not want to hit? LOL

I don't have any pictures of it assembled any more as they were on photo bucket and I cancelled the account how ever I can take some pictures of it disassembled though and post them if interested.

Back