• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Coehorn Mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I purchased this full scale mortar tube about 25 years ago from Dixie Gun Works. I made the bed from 4” x 4”s and had the handles and trunnion straps made by a blacksmith in Bardstown KY. The mortar is in excellent shape – very solid. It has not been fired very much and always kept inside and out of the weather.

The following description is from the latest DGW catalog but as far as I can tell everything still applies:

Cast Iron w/ ¼” steel liner

Welded Backplate 2 ¼” Bore

Weight – 80 lbs.

Overall Length – 13 ¾”

Diameter At The Breech – 6”

Diameter At The Muzzle – 6 ½”

Trunnions Are 2 1/8” Diameter & 1 ½” Long

Barrel Has ¼” Vent Hole

The picture of the mortar being fired was a one in a million shot taken by my wife (back before digital cameras). It helped me figure why I was getting splattered when standing directly behind the tube – look at the vent hole blast – pieces of the friction primer were being blown straight back!. Other pictures show the mortar in the mount along with a self- built ammo box, a stand of lead balls many tools, self- made implements and supplies. I’ll include a much faded DGW blue print of different mortars and bases as well as the pattern I used for building the base. Also included are 2 ball (sinker) molds and I even have 34 of the Red Top friction primers. I’m asking $1250 for everything. No trades please and this sale must be local pickup for obvious reasons. I live in Louisville KY.

mortar.jpg 20200302_123806.jpg 20200302_122445.jpg 20200302_121451.jpg mortar tube (2).png 20200302_123806.jpg

Sorry for the late reply .......just got back from camping. I am no expert but the few times I fired this baby I varied impact point windage by simple platform redirection. The elevation is fixed so to change impact point I varied charge weight and/or projectile weight. It was a lot of fun. I would stuff a 2 lb lead ball in a tube sock and let it rip. With the added visibility and reduced velocity the guys at the gun range would try to "shoot it down". As a final "fine" adjustment I would elevate the front or rear of the platform. It is by no means an exact science. Hope this answers your question.

Sorry for the late reply. I have a deposit on this setup. If the deal falls through I will post it here.

Thanks,

Mark

If you have a deposit on it, I consider it as sold so I'm closing this thread.

If the deal falls thru, you can advertise it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back