• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

"Cocktail anyone ?"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allyncooper

32 Cal
Reaction score
Spring thaw is upon us here in Buffalo WY and time to get back to the range. We are all aware of the BP shortage. I have a .50 cal. Traditions that I bought last year and took to the range a couple times. Was shooting with Triple Seven 3F which went off most of the time, but most on here are of the opinion a flintlock should be using BP only. I have some 3F BP and 4F BP for the pan which I obtained at painful expense (but I suppose lucky to have obtained it at all). Question is to stretch out the 3F BP can I use a charge of maybe 10 g of 3F BP first topped off with 60-70 g of the Triple Seven ? I have been told the BP has a lower ignition point than the substitutes so better to use in a flintlock.

Anybody else doing this or a variation thereof? Comments welcome.

I haven't had any of the subs in years, except Blackhorn 209. As such, I will stick with vast amount of the OG BP I have on hand. But, if anyone finds a way to make BH209 not completely dangerous for a trad gun, lemme know. When I shot Knight's Patent INOX WonderGuns that BH209 was amazing. 30 shots in the size of a baseball with zero cleaning. Load and shoot, load and shoot, load and shoot, over and over and over.

But hey, if the real BP helps kick the grey stuff into gear and you can do it accurately, sounds like making the best of a less than ideal sitch.

Spring thaw is upon us here in Buffalo WY and time to get back to the range. We are all aware of the BP shortage. I have a .50 cal. Traditions that I bought last year and took to the range a couple times. Was shooting with Triple Seven 3F which went off most of the time, but most on here are of the opinion a flintlock should be using BP only. I have some 3F BP and 4F BP for the pan which I obtained at painful expense (but I suppose lucky to have obtained it at all). Question is to stretch out the 3F BP can I use a charge of maybe 10 g of 3F BP first topped off with 60-70 g of the Triple Seven ? I have been told the BP has a lower ignition point than the substitutes so better to use in a flintlock.

Anybody else doing this or a variation thereof? Comments welcome.
My folks lived there in Buffalo back in 1975, worked construction on a project up there. It's some beautiful country. I was there between graduation and going into the Army in '75. Hit all the history sites, Fetterman Massacre, the Wagonbox Fight, Fort Phil Kearny. Drove up to the Little Bighorn.

Spring thaw is upon us here in Buffalo WY and time to get back to the range. We are all aware of the BP shortage.
Grew up in the Buffalo area and still return there every year to visit family and hunt. Haven’t been there since last November, but a couple of tfe guys I hunt with also use blackpowder and no comments were made about difficulty getting blackpowder, though I imagine they likely have to order online, as I doubt it is regularly available in local shops, just like everywhere else. I was in one of the guys gun rooms and he was obviously well stocked with blackpowder, with multiple granulations and manufacturers cans sitting on his shelves.

You can use subs with duplex blackpowder loads, but in my experience sooner or later there are complications and mess ups. The more steps in the loading process, the more likely stuff happens.

Thx for all the replies and input. Seems like the consensus is it would be OK, but not the ideal solution. As necessity is the mother of invention will have to do for now.

Back