• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cocking tc hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudcreek

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is there some secret method for cocking a TC Hawken that doesnt run off everything in the woods?

Pull trigger while slowly pulling the hammer back from half cock. Once its back. slowly let hammer down till it holds. Practice this till its second nature.
I was in the woods with my Lyman Hawken and the doe was so close that the set trigger click made it take off. No solution I know of for that. I should have just used the front trigger cause it was so close, I did not really need a set trigger.

I would just add for clarity, once past full cock position, release the trigger, and THEN slowly release tension until the hammer stops at full cock. I would just use the front trigger at this point.

tried the trigger thing, just like any other single action but it doesnt work. could it have anything to do with the set trigger adjustment?

The deer I shot this year jumped a bit when I cocked the hammer, but settled down again. Then when it finally turned and gave me the shot I wanted I hit the set trigger and the deer startled again...but luckily again settled down. A bigger buck would've been gone the first time. I have tried holding the trigger and going to full and it doesn't work on mine either.

I kept messin with the trigger adjust and if i hold the front trigger its pretty quiet when I ease the hammer back. I think I could get away with it

Just read this thread,, but looks like your gettin it.
Oil the lock and triggers, and keep the lube fresh. Helps a lot.

Pull trigger while slowly pulling the hammer back from half cock. Once its back. slowly let hammer down till it holds. Practice this till its second nature.
I was in the woods with my Lyman Hawken and the doe was so close that the set trigger click made it take off. No solution I know of for that. I should have just used the front trigger cause it was so close, I did not really need a set trigger.
THIS - for sure if they are that close. I do practice at the range using only the front trigger. I am getting where I prefer it that way....

With your TC unloaded (no charge in the barrel, no cap or powder in pan), take the gun to full cock with your finger on the front trigger. With s little practice, it should be silent. Now with the lock at full cock, lightly, and I mean lightly, place your index finger as you use your middle finger to set the set trigger. With a little practice it can be accomplished with very little if any noise. Once you figure this out, practice until it is second nature.

Latest posts

Back