• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

coating balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiger955

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I generally cast my own balls and bullets, but occasionally find a bargain on store-bought brands at gun shows, etc. I noticed the balls I cast get a powdery white residue on them when in storage for a period of time (I tend to cast in volume). The store-bought balls don't seem to do this. I have bought some really old stock that still look new in the box. Do the factories coat them with something? Is there something you guys would recommend coating the fresh balls to keep them new looking?
I know the oxide (?) doesn't hurt the performance when shooting, I am just curious what others do. I generally dump them on an old towel and rub them around a bit when opening an old batch, cleans most of the residue off.

tiger955 said:
I generally cast my own balls and bullets, but occasionally find a bargain on store-bought brands at gun shows, etc. I noticed the balls I cast get a powdery white residue on them when in storage for a period of time (I tend to cast in volume). The store-bought balls don't seem to do this. I have bought some really old stock that still look new in the box. Do the factories coat them with something? Is there something you guys would recommend coating the fresh balls to keep them new looking?
I know the oxide (?) doesn't hurt the performance when shooting, I am just curious what others do. I generally dump them on an old towel and rub them around a bit when opening an old batch, cleans most of the residue off.

The oxide is pretty toxic.

Store bought will do the same thing depending on the environment they are stored in.

Dan

You could try giving them a light rubbing with an non petrolium based oil. ( olive, crisco, castor, etc. ) What you want to avoid is any thing that would leave a sticky film on the balls. I made the mistake of using a can that had had a mixture of linsead oil and mineral spirits in it to store my balls in after casting them. Some of the balls had a sticky film on them and it caused the patches to "stick" to the balls for about twenty yards or so and the accuracy was badly affected.I learned this the hard way. :hmm:

I realize the oxide is toxic, I use an old towel to clean them then throw it away. I was just thinking.... is the oxide caused by moisture, or air? I live in a very dry desert climate so I don't think it would be moisture. Perhaps I could pack them in vacuum freezer storage bags, like the Vacula system uses.
I was thinking of spraying them lightly with WD-40 or some such, very lightly. I know not to use petrol products with BP, but figure the slight amount on the ball in a lubed patch wouldn't hurt any. The vacuum bag sounds better now that I think about it.

I put them in a old cake pan & spray the H out of them with Ballistol, roll them around so I feel they are well coated, put them in a freezer quart Ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, then double bag them, 500 to a bag. I have about 35,000 of them stored this way & I looked at some last month & know I had them since 2003 (date on the bags) and they looked like brand new. Oh, the bags are then stored in the green military ammo cans.

Works for me....... :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks for the advice!
35,000? Sounds like you need another hobby than casting lead, heheh JK
and I thought I should shoot more/cast less, wow!

Just this afternoon I was cleaning out the gun room and came across some 50 caliber mini's the boy had wrapped in a rag with wax for lube on them. They were coated with a thick lead oxide that penetrated the wax and into the cloth.This was after about ten years. :hmm:

tiger955 said:
I realize the oxide is toxic, I use an old towel to clean them then throw it away. I was just thinking.... is the oxide caused by moisture, or air? I live in a very dry desert climate so I don't think it would be moisture. Perhaps I could pack them in vacuum freezer storage bags, like the Vacula system uses.
I was thinking of spraying them lightly with WD-40 or some such, very lightly. I know not to use petrol products with BP, but figure the slight amount on the ball in a lubed patch wouldn't hurt any. The vacuum bag sounds better now that I think about it.

Something in the air, the worst I have had were in an Oak shooting box. Suspect tannic acid was the culprit

necchi said:
I have seen Hornady Ball rust, :idunno:
So it must be justa product of the environment.
I just bought a box of Hornady balls and they have a kinda "whitish dust" about them,and just looking now the inside of box is dusted quite white with grey stains where the balls sat forever....is that lead oxide?? :confused: I suspect they might have sat in the gun shop where I bought them for a long time?

If you spray the balls with WD40, the white oxide disappears, and the balls turn black, rather than silver. The oil remaining keeps the lead balls from oxidizing thereafter. BTDT. :thumbsup:

ohio ramrod said:
Just this afternoon I was cleaning out the gun room and came across some 50 caliber mini's the boy had wrapped in a rag with wax for lube on them. They were coated with a thick lead oxide that penetrated the wax and into the cloth.This was after about ten years. :hmm:

Lube can cause corrosion too.

Dan

tiger955 said:
Thanks for the advice!
35,000? Sounds like you need another hobby than casting lead, heheh JK
and I thought I should shoot more/cast less, wow!

I have just about every mold to cast all the calibers from .32 to .75, but absolutely Despise casting bullets. So I bought them in bulk before the last big lead jump. Should last my lifetime. If not I have about 2000# of lead saved as well if I have to cast them.

One thing for sure, lead is not getting cheaper.

Keith

Thanks for all the replys guys, I think I will try Paul's suggestion of spraying with WD40 before packing them away. Sounds about the easiest and cheapest way to go.

I shoot so much my rounds do not stick around long enough to develop a coating! I cast all my own and if a firelock goes on the back burner or is sold or traded I melt these balls to a caliber I am currently using.

Dan Phariss said:
tiger955 said:

Something in the air, the worst I have had were in an Oak shooting box. Suspect tannic acid was the culprit

You have something there. I used to relic hunt and I've bought dug Minies. Most of those I've gotten this way have an almost shiny, white oxide mixed with spots of the surrounding soil imbedded in the lead. Some however, are a dull, rough gray and appear to be starting to corrode. I was told years ago that how they oxidize depends on the acid content of the soil. Even bullets dug up at our range have been found in this condition. Some oxidize quicker than others. However, I have found a few Minies and RB's lying in the corners of my shop that have a light powdery coat of oxide. That tells me that humidity and exposure to smoke and vapors from various sources may have a hand in it.

grzrob... For sure that is the best solution, but due to time, work, weather constraints, I don't shoot as much as I would like to. I also enjoy casting and when I get my hands on a bunch of lead I feel a need to make something out of it!

Back