• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Coastal Oregon blacktail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishnRod

40 Cal
Reaction score
20201114_091107.jpg

Found a little 3x4 this morning while carrying the GPR. 54 caliber roundball went thru both lungs at about 75 yards. The buck went about 50 yards before piling up.

I don't do a great deal of big game hunting anymore. And, for those times when I really feel compelled to hunt deer, I do so on my own farm for whitetails and really don't wish to spend money or time on very many big game hunts. That said, I've always been at least somewhat interested in a Blacktail deer hunt with flintlock rifle on Prince of Wales Island in southeast Alaska. Well done, they're beautiful animals and I'm told that they're absolutely delicious.

I don't do a great deal of big game hunting anymore. And, for those times when I really feel compelled to hunt deer, I do so on my own farm for whitetails and really don't wish to spend money or time on very many big game hunts. That said, I've always been at least somewhat interested in a Blacktail deer hunt with flintlock rifle on Prince of Wales Island in southeast Alaska. Well done, they're beautiful animals and I'm told that they're absolutely delicious.
Blacktails and blackpowder in Alaska, that would be fun!!!

I've been to POW Island a couple of times now (as well as Kupreanof Island once) and each time I look at the hills and imagine pursuing Blacktails. I'm not getting any younger, so if I'm to do so, I should probably plan a hunt one of these days, sooner rather than later.

I've been to POW Island a couple of times now (as well as Kupreanof Island once) and each time I look at the hills and imagine pursuing Blacktails. I'm not getting any younger, so if I'm to do so, I should probably plan a hunt one of these days, sooner rather than later.
Exactly!! And I say this to all whom have dreamed of a specific hunt for years.
You see, and as many already know, I’ve been battling cancer for the past 8.5yrs, which has severely impacted my strength and stamina. I’ve lost 80 lbs, most of which was muscle. I now recognize that my dream hunt will never come to fruition. This hunt was none other than for the classic Big Horn Sheep right here in my own back yard. No need for draws, guides or anything. This hunt has been 26 years in the planning, however the reality is that I have always been unsure whether or not I actually ever had the “legs” to climb mountain after mountain. Now I know I do not. Should have done the hunt 26 years ago...
Don’t make the same mistake folks. Especially since the only cost would have been time.
Walk

Good advice Walkingeagle and best of luck with your ongoing battle. I lost my dad to cancer and he valiantly fought for years and I still recall him coming to me the night before our deer season and explaining that he simply didn't have the strength to go in the morning and that I was on my own. I missed him terribly on my hunts that year but felt fortunate that I had good memories of other previous hunts.

I lived on POW for 8 years and did a lot successful deer hunting. I killed a few with my 54 cal Leman style percussion I built. It rains 120 inches a year and flintlock hunting is tough. That's why I used percussion. There was, and still is, a 4 buck limit. It must be the diet but they were some of the best tasting deer I've eaten.

Had I found out about Prince of Wales Island as a younger man, I very well may have lived there myself. Now I'm pretty happy to make the occasional visit.

I lived on POW for 8 years and did a lot successful deer hunting. I killed a few with my 54 cal Leman style percussion I built. It rains 120 inches a year and flintlock hunting is tough. That's why I used percussion. There was, and still is, a 4 buck limit. It must be the diet but they were some of the best tasting deer I've eaten.

Latest posts

Back