• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coastal Mortar Replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heinrich

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My apologies if this post is in the wrong Index.

This coastal mortar is my model.

10-inchseacoastmortar.jpg

Here is the progress on the carraige, basically the woodwork is done. I now only need to finish the where you can see the burn marks on the wood.

I used wallnut, and it took most of the afternoon to make the joints so that the beams in between the 2 rails penetrate the rails themselves.

P1010142.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010144.jpg

This is how the barrel was born.

Thor.jpg

Thor2.jpg

Thor3.jpg

Thor4.jpg

Thor5.jpg

This one will be called Thor once he is finished.

I'm working on one of those also. My cheek pieces are going to to be cut of out steel plate. The originals were cast iron.

The bore of my tube is 3.67 inch--6PDR.

I've considered a carraige from steel, just too much work at the moment.

I've got a plan for to modify the trunnions a little.

Worked on the trunnions today, and milled the back of the barrel for the trunnion to be press fitted.

trunnion1.jpg

trunnion2.jpg

trunnion3.jpg

Fantastic ! I am really lookingforward to this ., your Muzzle looks grand !!! not quite the average CW Coehorn., but French ? or English ? Very nice sir very nice indeed. :thumbsup:

:grin: Boy you make me regret not having finished machine shop during WWII, when they offered Machine Shop Practise as what they called "War Courses", while in High School. I have regretted this my entire life when I see the neat work being done by the skilled both here and in another field of endeavor (hobby) I am involved in. Since my uncle passed away I have had to pay people to do my machine work. Way to go---I will watch this story unfold until the day you fire that piece. :thumbsup:

I am not certain whether that muzzle is country specific, but I've seen it on a Belgian gun of which I have a pic in a book.

Ok, here be more progress. Trunnions in, and the little cup thingy is welded in place behind the flash hole.

Thor10.jpg

Thor11.jpg

Technically the barrel is finished, ready to be mounted on the weekend.

I have regretted this my entire life ...

I don't know how old you are but if you can still learn anything, you can learn how to operate a lathe and a milling machine. Try the vocational courses at your local community college.

Correct, I've used EN19.
Thanks everybody, it is an awesome process, and shooting is going to be an great highlight.

EN19 is equal too barrel grade steel.

There is another one in circulation around our area that has been turned from EN9 steel which is 10 levels softer, and has been shooting for a long time. The owner measures all possible measurements on the barrel with little micrometers after every session, and there has been 0 micron change in any dimension. In fact his equipment is so fine that he has to measure the barrel at the same temperature.

Latest posts

Back